Can one treat with ApiLife Var from below?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugcheleuce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7-10
Hello everyone

The usage instructions for ApiLife Var (and other products that work with impregnated pads) are to put the pads on the top of the frames. However, that means opening up the hive to replace the old ones. Can one put the pads on the floor of the hive instead?

All of my hives have varroa trays that can be opened from the back of the hive, so theoretically I can ask anyone who's not a beekeeper and who is in the area to replace the old ones if I put them on the tray instead of on top of the frames.

Thanks
Samuel

You can put them there, but they won't be very effective, not effective enough.

Can one put the pads on the floor of the hive instead?

I found one older article that mentions treatment from below. Treatment from below was less effective because the temperature under the frames is less at night, and because more of the acid can escape through the flight opening (particularly in coldway). Treatment from below also suffered from greater temperature fluctuations (which affects the amount of acid in the hive air at any given time).

The bees cannot also walk over and nibble away the thymol pads, often removing them entirely in little bits, thus spreading the oily treatment around and giving better efficiency.

Back