Buying Hives in the UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thornes "Bees on a Budget" hives are good value for starting out because they've got the full hive with supers, frames and foundation in 1 kit. Add bee suit, smoker, hive tool and you've got everything you need to begin with, except bees.

You will however need some spare kit as time goes on, and ideally a minimum of 2 colonies, so my recommendation for starting out would actually be 3 BoaB kits. You've then got enough for 2 hives with 3 supers each, and a spare floor/brood box/roof.

Not always the case, at one local auction I frequent all the outcomers turn up at the viewing, Thorne's catalogue firmly clutched in hand they use the catalogue as a guide to how much each item is worth - then pay Thornes brand new 'first quality' prices for old worm riddled kit only fit for stuffing in a smoker.
I've been to a good few bee auctions over the years and it's very much buyer beware (although I love the social nature of them and the bacon rolls and cakes !) .. The reality is that beekeepers are a mean or at least thrifty lot and they generally only get rid of kit that is useless or well past its sell by date.

A few years ago there were some beautifully hand made cedar 'national' brood boxes for sale at an auction I went to, dovetailed corners - almost works of art and they looked brand new. My mentor was on the ball and picked up a national frame from the next lot .. it slotted in snugly, too snugly .. the brood boxes were beautifully made with no bee space outside of the side bars - totally useless for beekeeping.

I watched as they went for a lot of money but I just hope the bidder who won was not expecting to use them as hives ~ Caveat emptor. The 'bargains' I have picked up at beekeeping auctions have generally been non-bee related items.

Last edited:
Back