buy in bees or not this year ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDub

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I'd like to get people's ideas on my best course of action as to buying in bees or not this year.

Last year a swarm moved into an old hive in my garden. After a little work and feeding I am so far hopeful that they will go on to survive and prosper this year. The bees themselves are small dark black/brown in colour and are generally very calm. Obvioulsy if the colony is strong enough I may be able to split them at some point and there is also the possibility of a second swarm arriving :) However being somewhat impatient by nature, and feeling that I could run 5 or 6 hives quite happily at home I'm wondering about buying a package/nucleus as well.

I suppose the minimum cost of buying new bees would be about £120. Does anyone have any comments on whether they consider this to be a good move or not?

Nick Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire

I'd say it depends on your aim. Lots of colonies in the shortest time and money no object, or a slower cheaper build up.

I'd say to get at least two colonies asap.

Nick,
Herefordshire BKA are a good bunch. Hook up with them (if you haven't already) and you might find you can get a free swarm or a cheap nuc.

Depends on your bees, but they will probably prepare to swarm, and at that point you can do an AS. At this point you could choose to spilt the brood filled hive into two, each with a queen cell. Cheaper and more fun than buying in!

Latest posts

Back