Busy Hives - Could They Swarm Early?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t have drawn comb. Any particular configurations of boxes/frames you do when going to double brood?

I leave maybe five sealed brood in the bottom box and the open directly above, on the premise that sealed gives heat and open needs it. If you just stick a second BB on top of the first they're just as likely to use it as a super on a strong flow, defeating the objective of providing extra laying space.

On the other hand, it's a good plan to put a brood box of foundation above the QX on a strong summer flow, giving you a stock of good combs for the future. Although they won't have had brood in them, safer to spray with Bruco to preserve them from wax moth.

A vertical split keeps the nest compact and makes the most of rising heat; this particular colony is on a solid floor; I don't use dummy boards, but have in the past used insulation boards.

As Ian said, you won't be doing this unless you have plenty of bees; I'd add that you must be able to read the colony - what were they like last year? Some of mine in Surrey were on triple brood by June, and the colony upgraded yesterday has already about 10 pounds of nectar in the super added two weeks ago, so I know their game.

Last edited:
I leave maybe five sealed brood in the bottom box and the open directly above, on the premise that sealed gives heat and open needs it. If you just stick a second BB on top of the first they're just as likely to use it as a super on a strong flow, defeating the objective of providing extra laying space.

On the other hand, it's a good plan to put a brood box of foundation above the QX on a strong summer flow, giving you a stock of good combs for the future. Although they won't have had brood in them, safer to to spray with Bruco to preserve them from wax moth.

A vertical split keeps the nest compact and makes the most of rising heat; this particular colony is on a solid floor; I don't use dummy boards, but have in the past used insulation boards.

As Ian said, you won't be doing this unless you have plenty of bees; I'd add that you must be able to read the colony - what were they like last year? Some of mine in Surrey were on triple brood by June last year, and the colony upgraded yesterday has already about 10 pounds of nectar in the super added two weeks ago, so I know their game.
Thanks for the feedback. Don’t plan on inspecting until the start of next week when the forecast is about 17c here. This is only my third year and cannot really compare the situation last year as I only had one hive then that was not as strong as the three I have now and the weather conditions for earlier forage this year seem much better. I’ve got one hive on brood and a half that I can see is packed with bees from the top and bottom of the hive. I’ll have supers and brood boxes on standby when I inspect so can assess the situation and take the necessary action. Just need to keep calm and act rationally 🤪

Until sexually mature drones are flying they'll stay put: add two weeks from emergence.

Weather? Clement? Whaddya want? :)

Today in West Surrey I went through colonies at 16C: nectar and pollen piling in; one was upgraded to double-brood on a vertical split; drones seen stretching their legs in two colonies; combs of stores taken out of several and replaced with comb and a frame of foundation here and there; most were supered. Marked all Qs while it's easy, with a blue Toma pen recommended by Neil.

Now is the time to start swarm control, not in May when the switch has been clicked: take out excess stores and give space for laying queens with comb, and give space above for nectar.

Whereabouts are you in Surrey?

I am near Caterham Eric :)

Thanks for all the advice, I will probably do some relatively brief inspections this weekend to assess the state of play. Weather dependant!

Thanks again,

Felix

I am near Caterham Eric :)

Thanks for all the advice, I will probably do some relatively brief inspections this weekend to assess the state of play. Weather dependant!

Thanks again,

Felix
This is a similar situation to me - newish bee keeper and a hive (wooden Nat BB) that I have seen is very busy. In a week it hefted from quite light to very heavy. I checked under the crown board and found bees over 9 or 10 frames. I quickly put a super on top.
Three other hives are hardly moving by comparison. There does not seem to be any robbing going on within the apiary.
I do wonder if the busy hive has found the poly tunnels with flowering strawberries in them?

I think that strawberry flowers produce very little nectar but do have pollen
Thanks for the reply.
I had heard that too but would meagre pickings in warm, windless surroundings, when there is little or no naturally occurring nectar make them worth a visit?
Do you know what colour strawberry pollen is - I can't find it on the charts?
Rob.

Latest posts

Back