Busy Hives - Could They Swarm Early?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmesmeric

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hey Guys,

I have 3 hives, and two of them are really busy, I even peeked inside and they are pretty packed with bees (including a super I left on over winter) and have a good flow of pollen coming in.

Is there any chance these hives could swarm now? Is it too early?

I'm concerned that by the time the weather becomes clement enough to do a full inspection, it will be too late!

Thanks,

Felix

Hey Guys,

I have 3 hives, and two of them are really busy, I even peeked inside and they are pretty packed with bees (including a super I left on over winter) and have a good flow of pollen coming in.

I'm concerned that by the time the weather becomes clement enough to do a full inspection, it will be too late!

Thanks,

Felix
You could have inspected today or by the look of the forecast any time next week. Am sure you’ll be fine till then. Ian

I suspect noone can answer. Balance between loosing an early swarm (unlikely but possible) and seting them back a bit by disturbing them. I think I underestimated last year how much my early meddling would set them back.

Last edited:
I suspect noone can answer. Balance between loosing an early swarm (unlikely but possible) and seting them back a bit by disturbing them. I think I underestimated last year how much my early meddling would set them back.
i think you will need a certain number of drones present before swarming and whilst its warm here in sussex, i havent noticed drones about
Exactly. All that fiddling about with them does this early in the season is slows down the colony growth ... the chance of a swarm down here - even in the balmy (or is it barmy !!) South in March is neglible, Indeed, if I had bees that swarmed this early I would be glad to see the back of them ...and I'd swap the queen they made as well ....

The chances of any swarming are very! small, it was 19c in the sun down here today and plenty warm enough to inspect without causing any damage. The weather looks good next week so I’m sure they’ll wait! I’ve inspected some dbl brood colonies and effectively there filling brood and a half and reversed a few boxes. And yes admittedly few there are drones already hatched in my neck of the woods. Ian

One option to relieve your anxiety would be switching positions of the strongest with the weak one, a measure that will strengthen the weak one while alleviating the seeming congestion in the strongest one.
What before checking and you know what’s in there😂the other option to relieve anxiety is to inspect of course.

I always get on edge at this time of the year, especially when it gets unseasonably warm. However, I am sitting on my bee gloves until the end of this week at least.
It's warmer at the moment, but is due to get cooler by the end of the week. I think that things will be okay from the swarming point of view, as it takes time for the colonies to build up their core-strength and then even think about making QC's.
I may be wrong and am sure that someone will 'slap me down,' but I do believe that there are two main triggers that jointly work together for the colonies. The increase of daylight hours, due to the spring equinox, plus sustained warmer weather, above 13 degs C. Put all those together and all hell could break lose very quickly! :willy_nilly:

Until sexually mature drones are flying they'll stay put: add two weeks from emergence.
Weather? Clement? Whaddya want? :)

Today in West Surrey I went through colonies at 16C: nectar and pollen piling in; one was upgraded to double-brood on a vertical split; drones seen stretching their legs in two colonies; combs of stores taken out of several and replaced with comb and a frame of foundation here and there; most were supered. Marked all Qs while it's easy, with a blue Toma pen recommended by Neil.

Now is the time to start swarm control, not in May when the switch has been clicked: take out excess stores and give space for laying queens with comb, and give space above for nectar.

Whereabouts are you in Surrey?

Until sexually mature drones are flying they'll stay put: add two weeks from emergence.

Weather? Clement? Whaddya want? :)

Today in West Surrey I went through colonies at 16C: nectar and pollen piling in; one was upgraded to double-brood on a vertical split; drones seen stretching their legs in two colonies; combs of stores taken out of several and replaced with comb and a frame of foundation here and there; most were supered. Marked all Qs while it's easy, with a blue Toma pen recommended by Neil.

Now is the time to start swarm control, not in May when the switch has been clicked: take out excess stores and give space for laying queens with comb, and give space above for nectar.

Whereabouts are you in Surrey?
Sounds like we've both had a similar day Eric. 😀
The Toma pens work a treat don't they?

one was upgraded to double-brood on a vertical split;

I’m looking to go to double brood, assuming it’s needed, on at least one hive. Don’t have drawn comb. Any particular configurations of boxes/frames you do when going to double brood? I was also thinking of using dummy boards to not double the space right away and then taking them out as needed. Thanks.

Meanwhile, in Middle Earth, - sorry I mean North Midlands - it would be nice to have two consecutive sunny days - or even one full day of sun and a temperatures over 10C.

Thoughts of swarms and inspections and weeks if not months away.

I’m looking to go to double brood, assuming it’s needed, on at least one hive. Don’t have drawn comb. Any particular configurations of boxes/frames you do when going to double brood? I was also thinking of using dummy boards to not double the space right away and then taking them out as needed. Thanks.
Provided the box below has plenty of bees and if it hasn’t there’s no point in adding the second brood anyway just put it on top. I often lift a frame of sealed/emerging brood into the next box replace below with foundation on edge of brood area. I’d leave it until next week and the forecast better weather though it’s looking chilly at the weekend. Ian

Meanwhile, in Middle Earth, - sorry I mean North Midlands - it would be nice to have two consecutive sunny days - or even one full day of sun and a temperatures over 10C.

Thoughts of swarms and inspections and weeks if not months away.

similar in East Sussex...not warm enough consistently yet....may look at weekend

Latest posts

Back