Bugger

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other side of the coin is that this is natures way of selecting those that are fit for survival in a changing environment. As Michael Palmer says: "Winter is my friend". From a "fitness" point of view, he is correct. I know this will be no comfort to those who have lost bees, but, this should teach us that all bees are not equal.

I take your point but it only fully applies when all beeks are as good as Michael Palmer!! :)

I take your point but it only fully applies when all beeks are as good as Michael Palmer!! :)

Exactly. There is a lesson to be learned though. If we fail to learn it, we must suffer the consequences.
There is an old saying that comes to mind: "If we keep on doing what we always did, we'll always get what we always got". To me, that highlights the point that, if what you're doing doesn't work, change it. Don't make excuses. Don't say "If only" this, or that... It is what it is. A dead colony won't make any honey. If you want to keep bees, keep only the best...or, you won't be a beekeeper next year.
I know this sounds harsh, but, it's the truth.

Despite a crap summer followed by a lingering winter with cold snaps continuing into spring the no. 1 killer remains inadequate varroa treatment in the autumn, first thing to analyse in my book.

no. 1 killer remains inadequate varroa treatment in the autumn, first thing to analyse in my book.

I'll second that.
Last Autumn I had a problem hive that took several vapes to get varroa numbers down to reasonable counts.
It may just be co-incidence but this is the only hive that I have lost to date this winter.

First things what I learned and keep to that - bees never die of cold. I have a wooden cracked hives and zero losses for 2 consecutive seasons ( approx 50 colonies per season), I think I had only once ever lost about 5 colonies of that number - varroa I think ( damn bayvarol). The reasons are more likely varroa and its " friends", nosema ( cerana), not enough winter bees ( if you see the clusters are small merge into one, have to be hard on that), too late feeding in autumn ( exhaust the winter bees). Not to mention that bees should be left in peace and intervene brief and rare if have to during winter. I believe even we are in a different climate it should be the same..
Hope with new start will be better.

lost 4 of my hives just got one left had a look other day only a small one and queen not laying yet others i lost went into winter strong but this one i have left was only a small hive but its got through winter

Sorry to hear that, heart breaking when you spend so much time looking after them during the year. I have lost 4 hives this year, 1 probably my fault for overwintering them on dble brood when à single could have done but the others were overwintered as usual, insulated, treated with sublimation and with ample store.
I read you are burning all the equipment from these hives, is it necessary?

Don't give yourself a hard time over the double brood. All mine went through winter on double brood and all were fine, and that is my usual pattern and losses are very rare. Smaller colonies still get double BB but dummies either side.

Luck of the draw, sounds like you did all your could. I follow MP, believing winter does weed out the lass desirable stock.

Hope you soon build up again.

Despite a crap summer followed by a lingering winter with cold snaps continuing into spring the no. 1 killer remains inadequate varroa treatment in the autumn, first thing to analyse in my book.

Precisely why I asked that question, the bees have seen worse than we've just had.

I have lost 2 this year - both from early season matings. I have some nucs from very late matings when the weather was far better and they are romping away.

TimS, are you suggesting the time/efficiency of queen mates determines if the hive will survive the winter??
I think I would look more closely at the efficiency of your late summer/autumn varroa treatments.

3 out of 6 overwintering colonies lost, the worst for 15 years for me. I'm torn between varroa load too high despite winter OA treatment and failing queens. I have noticed fewer queens survive the second winter recently but this is worrying me. Any ideas?

My 2016 queens have all survived this Spring. I lost 4 colonies all headed by 2017 queens and all due to isolation starvation, 2 of my 2017 queens look to have been replaced by very, very late supercedure in October but both have unmarked queens laying eggs although they look small.

One point of note is that my 2 biggest colonies which both went into winter on double brood are just about hanging on by their toes. Lots of sealed stores left but very few bees. Only time will tell if they survive.

I do have 2 colonies that are out and about probably 3C or 4C lower temps than the rest and I think I should maybe breed a line or 2 from these this year as they have come out of winter ready to go.

Cheers, Mick.

One point of note is that my 2 biggest colonies which both went into winter on double brood are just about hanging on by their toes. Lots of sealed stores left but very few bees.

Cheers, Mick.

Typical varroa problem.

One point of note is that my 2 biggest colonies which both went into winter on double brood are just about hanging on by their toes. Lots of sealed stores left but very few bees. Only time will tell if they survive.

I have lost three colonies, all of which were on double brood - and the losses represent 100% of my double brood colonies. Taking a look at the weekend they've got loads of stores but there is dead half emerged brood typical of varroa infestation.

The other colonies are on 14*12 and are building up nicely.

I wonder whether double brood reduced the effectiveness of my OA vaporisation at the end of the summer??

I wonder whether double brood reduced the effectiveness of my OA vaporisation at the end of the summer??

Basic thing is that a big hive has a huge varroa load. When autumn comes, that load lay into Winter brood. Mites kill lots of brood, which ought to be winter bees. When summer bees die, hive has more or less reduced colony.

Yes, I see it (again) when I look my double brood hives.

Best hives are those which I made last summer from swarms.
They are same size as in autumn .

Next summer I will do my all hives broodless during main flow and then I kill mites from broodless hive before they start to rear winterbrood.

3 out of 6 overwintering colonies lost, the worst for 15 years for me. I'm torn between varroa load too high despite winter OA treatment and failing queens. I have noticed fewer queens survive the second winter recently but this is worrying me. Any ideas?

Every year coming out of winter there will be some strong, some medium and some weak colonies. This year the weak ones got knocked off by the weather. Breed from your strongest.

It would be quite interesting to see what the lost colonies were treated with...anyone any good with the voting thingy on here!!
E

Every year coming out of winter there will be some strong, some medium and some weak colonies. This year the weak ones got knocked off by the weather. Breed from your strongest.

I have kept weakest alive with terrarium heaters. Practically it means in many cases that I have saved the queens.

I think Finman is right, it probably was a high varroa load that disproportionately affected larger colonies as two smaller ones and an overwintered nuc are doing fine.
My fault as I had an all clear from the local inspector in September, one colony only showing varroa, didn't treat after that until oxalic acid in January.
last month I checked stores and only one had gone, so 2 very recently.
I now have 2 full supers of stores I'm not sure what to do with

Latest posts

Back