Brother Adam's Mating Station

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Whilst doing a bit of research earlier I stumbled acroos a paper on the re-opening of Brother Adam's mating station. The thing that shocked me most was not so much the fact it had been closed and was now being taken over by nature but the fact that it was just abandoned mating hives still strwn all over the place and left there to rot!! I know that now the only thing of interest to the Abbey is filthy lucre, but with the place in history that this enterprise had secured and the great work done by Brother Adam in the development of a 'commercial' strain of honeybee (and nobody can deny that regardless of whether you like Buckfast bees or are a member of the AMM Taliban) I cannot believe the act of total disrespect and disregard that they have shown. Criminal

I think it is in good hands now and its getting back to its former glory not worthy

Whilst doing a bit of research earlier I stumbled acroos a paper on the re-opening of Brother Adam's mating station. The thing that shocked me most was not so much the fact it had been closed and was now being taken over by nature but the fact that it was just abandoned mating hives still strwn all over the place and left there to rot!! I know that now the only thing of interest to the Abbey is filthy lucre, but with the place in history that this enterprise had secured and the great work done by Brother Adam in the development of a 'commercial' strain of honeybee (and nobody can deny that regardless of whether you like Buckfast bees or are a member of the AMM Taliban) I cannot believe the act of total disrespect and disregard that they have shown. Criminal

:iagree:

And as Chris says its in good hands now.

I think it is in good hands now and its getting back to its former glory not worthy

Although one of the photos did show this rather wild character gesticulating away - wonder whether he had taken residence in one of the abandoned hives?

Hivemaker reopened it last year

Although one of the photos did show this rather wild character gesticulating away - wonder whether he had taken residence in one of the abandoned hives?

Its what beekeeping does to you!!
:biggrinjester:

That would be Anton, doubt it, as his farm house is only 50 yards away.

:iagree: 100% Total disrespect shown and to a lesser extent to some of his more personal equipment at the Abbey. The mating station has now been resurrected and hopefully will be used for many years to come.

The wheels of commerce, as per the objective of this thread again.

Eh? so I'm not allowed now to comment on the fact the abbey have treated the memory of a great beemaster so shabbily without some sanctimonious eejit getting on his high horse about some point which I haven't a scooby that he's trying to make.
I don't even have one Buckfast queen in my apiary! :banghead:

Last edited:
I don't even have one Buckfast queen in my apiary!

Doris has a cupboard full of their wonderful tonic wine, I wonder if the monks put their honey in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you fancy a good chuckle may I suggest Anton's book," All the usual bullocks"

Tim

Brother Adam's Mating Station?

What happened to vows of poverty, chastity and obedience then?

Dusty

As far as I am aware (as a lapsed Catholic) priests and monks never took a vow of poverty they saved that privilege for the nuns, who had to donate any or all their wealth to the nunnery/convent when they entered. any salary earned from working outside,say as a nurse or teacher belongs to the church and not to the individual as opposed to a priest who is allowed an income of his own.
Says a lot about the attitude to women in general, that prevails in the church.

Latest posts

Back