Brood box observation windows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm not sure where to put this question really, but there's a lot about observation hives in this part of the forum...

I'm helping to set up a couple of hives at university and we're thinking of putting some observation windows on a side of each brood box so that we can spread the bee-love without having to open a hive fully to show people the inside. Can anyone tell me whether they are any good? I can't find a single photograph of bees in one anywhere on the internet which is why I'm a bit suspect, despite a few photos of similar brood boxes for sale. I wonder whether it's possible to see anything interesting through them as you'd only be able to see down the gaps between the frames, but that must be similar for windows in TBHs and Warres - though obviously without the frames themselves.

The one from the big well-known supplier is £35 for just one window, which I assume is just a sheet of polycarbonate that glues/screws on, so I'll definitely be making my own if anyone has anything good to say about this type of observation window. Obviously it'll need something over it to keep the light out and the heat in too, but that will be easy enough.

Just wondering whether they're any good really? Thanks

You wont see a lot.......If you put one each side you will probably only see what may well be empty frames and the ends of frames.

Just wondering whether they're any good really? Thanks

In the book "At the hive entrance" there is a section devoted to the interpretation of the activity seen through such a window.

I think it could save a lot of work.

The bees will 'dirty' any such window with propolis, and one window isn't enough to provide for enough light for you to see anything much.
I'd recommend a simple see-through coverboard (with no hole) as a means of keeping an eye on what they are up to without actually opening the hive - and a bit of light from underneath helps show more (at least when there's only one box of the hive).

Thanks for the answers - much as I thought really. Great book recommendation too, I found it free online and had a look. Interestingly, the sort of hive he's talking about ther seems to have one frame mounted transversely compared to all of the other frames right in front of the window which is an interesting idea, but not really practical as a modification to an existing National box.

The bees will 'dirty' any such window with propolis, and one window isn't enough to provide for enough light for you to see anything much.
I'd recommend a simple see-through coverboard (with no hole) as a means of keeping an eye on what they are up to without actually opening the hive - and a bit of light from underneath helps show more (at least when there's only one box of the hive).

Good idea - I occasionally have a peek through the hole in my wooden crownboard as is, so I can see that would work. I've read that they need some insulation to prevent condensation - is that something you've found?

Good idea - I occasionally have a peek through the hole in my wooden crownboard as is, so I can see that would work. I've read that they need some insulation to prevent condensation - is that something you've found?

Lots of us on here have clear crownboards ... no problem with condensation ... lots of us also put insulation on top of the crownboards as well ...

I would not be without either ...

Hello Pollen,

I'm new to beekeeping. Built myself a top bar hive a few weeks ago and acquired a swarm last week. I went to the trouble of making an observation window and it's of very little use, wish I hadn't bothered. There is a very short range of vision due to lack of light, and as others have said I suspect polycarb/Perspex/glass will be too dirty in time also.

Sam

Back