Bottom Board/Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleurBleue

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Wisdom needed please.
I've put my varroa treatment in the hives. At the moment they just have the ventilated bottom, do I need to put the hard board back on as well for the strips to work their magic, or does it not make any difference?

Wisdom needed please.
I've put my varroa treatment in the hives. At the moment they just have the ventilated bottom, do I need to put the hard board back on as well for the strips to work their magic, or does it not make any difference?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hard board". Could you please explain what this is?

If it is a board that slides under the open mesh floor, the answer is to leave it out at the moment so any debris (i.e. dead varroa) falls out the bottom of the hive.
If you mean the "coverboard" that goes ontop of the brood box, then yes, this should go back on.

The hard board that slides in and out, thanks for the reply, x

What treatment have you applied? If it's formic acid based then ventilation is quite important.

Apivar is the acaricide called amitraz, and relies on the bees making contact with it. Therefore there shouldn't be any ventilation problems. The inspection board is only there in this case if you want to monitor mite drop whilst the treatment is underway.

Latest posts

Back