Bodge it and scarper Frame and Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgeek

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
From my previous posts absolute noob :)

Did an inspection today and everything appears to be ticking along in a textbook manner apart from the bit of the textbook the bees have failed to read.
The ladies have managed to build a comb between
2 Hoffman Frames. It is only attached to 1 Frame. I am loathe to remove/destroy it as it is full of eggs and larvae

I recall a recent thread where someone added already made comb to a frame. I cannot for the life of me find it in search nor remember what the title of it was.

For some reason I remember comments about the bees chewing through rubber bands.

If anyone has a better memory than me and can point me in the right direction for the thread it would be appreciated.

Also, as this secondary comb is about half a frame big do you think the effort is worth it?

All answers greatfully received.:bigear:

For me the worth is lessened by the increasing number of frames filled.

If it were the only one, vital.

If one of three same.

If one of 10.. well now its not so important.

Hopefully that perspective will assist?

PH

The post was called cut out when a beekeeper removed a swarm and cut out the combs and attached them to the frames with elastic bands, this is done to give bees time to fix the combs to the frames and then they chew the bands and spit them out at the entrance.

For me the worth is lessened by the increasing number of frames filled.

If it were the only one, vital.

If one of three same.

If one of 10.. well now its not so important.

Hopefully that perspective will assist?

PH

Hoffman, then I hope it;s one of 11 plus a dummy board, come on keep up
:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Hoffman, then I hope it;s one of 11 plus a dummy board, come on keep up
:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:
Andy, the operative word in PH's post was "filled".

It depends on how many frames the bees are using.

Sgeek - when you next buy brood frames get DN5s rather than DN4s. The difference is just that the 5s have a wider top bar so that the space between is a proper beespace rather than the wild comb inviting 1.5 beespaces obtained with the commonly recommended DN4s.
But hey, "experienced beekeepers" use all sorts of nasty spacing devices (and thus inter-frame spaces) without noticing any problems ... ;)

Last edited:
Andy, the operative word in PH's post was "filled".

It depends on how many frames the bees are using.

Depends how many frames are in the hive, might explain the wild comb though.
OOPs been beaten to it

Last edited:
one of our ex RBI's used masking tape wrapped right around the frame, three different places by the time the bees had chewed all the tape off they had also attached the comb to the frame, its your call as PH says is it worth it

If you read my post again Andy you will see I am trying to explain how the importance of that wild comb frame changes with the strength of the colony. :)

PH

Remove it, it will cause you anxt in the long run as that frame is unlikely to be built nice and straight and that is where they will hide queen cells from you. As a new beek you want to have frames that are easy to see and make life as easy for yourself as poss.
E

Sgeek - when you next buy brood frames get DN5s rather than DN4s. The difference is just that the 5s have a wider top bar so that the space between is a proper beespace rather than the wild comb inviting 1.5 beespaces obtained with the commonly recommended DN4s.
But hey, "experienced beekeepers" use all sorts of nasty spacing devices (and thus inter-frame spaces) without noticing any problems ... ;)

Yup, got one hive here which has narrow frame tops (so expect got 40 more somewhere...grrr). Bought as "commercial brood frames". Bees place two braces between each pair in a neat line across the box (11 frames and a dummy ;)). Nuisance value - large.

Susbees - at the risk of hijacking the thread, I mainly have DN5 frames but there are a number of DN4 frames in circulation amongst my hives and in my spares cabinet... I find that I can mix and match the two top bar widths with little problem where I ensure that the DN4 frames are placed to the outermost sides of a hive.
Any brood frames purchased over the past two years have been DN5 and I am filtering out the DN4s after listening to a lecture delivered by Malcolm Blake and having a good think about bee space.

With reference to the OP - was the wild comb drawn out as drone comb or worker comb by the bees? If drone and capped, I would be inclined to remove it and use it as an opportunity to lessen the varroa load on the colony.

Thanks to all.

The colony is still small and only on 3 frames of brood at the moment. Thank you for pointing out the thread I asked about.

interesting point about the DN5 vs DN4 and noted.

I will be returning next week with a prepared frame to give saving the brood a go.
Another good point about it the possiblity of it being Drone Brood. When I looked yesterday it was still eggs and Larvae. Main concern is how well the wild comb is connected to the single frame how much damage will I cause and can I clear the area of bees sufficently to avoid damaging HM if she is hiding in there. Won't know until the day. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

Thanks for all the advice again folks. If I can get a willing helper I may even try to take phots to make you all wince at the amount of mistakes I make :)

Back