Bit of a wax disaster!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatgun to melt the wax, followed by a paper kitchen towel to mop it up.
That certainly works on carpets (don't ask me how I know, but a red candle left on a night storage heater sure makes you think a murder has occurred)

Perhaps if you pour a close to boiling kettle of water and keep the drain plug in the sink to catch the water and wax together, then when it cools you can lift the wax off the water, but its probably all over and fixed by now, so sorry for only coming in now!
No! Do not melt wax which might possibly have opportunity to go down the drain. It will solidify in the drain, and in the worst case scenario you will need a plumber to replace your pipes.

Last edited:
Cooling the wax is good. Heating it does spread it. Probably too late now but putting ice on it might have helped initially. The wax shrinks. At least it is food safe so no worries there. Clean your spinner with cold water initially then you can do hot soapy if you want. The wax in the spinner does have honey on it so that dissolves and the wax comes away easily. Hot water will melt it and spread it.
Do be careful not to wash it down your drain or it may cause a fat burg later on. AubMar above has good advice on this.

"How do you clean your extractor?"
Cold water only and resist any urge to rub anything!!!!
:iagree: take it outside, garden hose on jet setting and give it a qood swill down, leave to drain and a quick wipe with a clean dry cloth before putting it away

You can’t take your kitchen outside though 😬
Many moons ago I spilled wax in the kitchen - luckily on the hob so I managed to salvage things. Now the only time I have molten wax in the kitchen is if I'm casting a wax cake for show. All the processing and filtering is done outside in the old boiler house, moulds and cover warming in the oven in the kitchen, when all set, the bain marie, lid on, moves into the kitchen, moulds on a wooden board on the worktop, wax poured, covers on then the whole lot wrapped in towels/ spare fleeces and left overnight to cool.

Latest posts

Back