Bit of a wax disaster!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need some help! Was filtering some wax and dropped the container all over the draining board. I’ve scraped up as much wax as possible. Is the best thing to do cover the drainer with newspaper and iron it ? Thanks

I need some help! Was filtering some wax and dropped the container all over the draining board. I’ve scraped up as much wax as possible. Is the best thing to do cover the drainer with newspaper and iron it ? Thanks
No don’t do that. I’ve done things like that before. Scrape as much as you can off and the rest will wear off. You could try fine wire wool which will remove the wax without scratching the surface.

No don’t do that. I’ve done things like that before. Scrape as much as you can off and the rest will wear off. You could try fine wire wool which will remove the wax without scratching the surface.
Ok

Ok. Thanks.
I’d go for that . Swmbo banned me from extracting honey , rendering/casting beeswax in the kitchen years ago 🙄

Thanks for the suggestions. Have scraped up as much as possible. Hopefully I haven’t lost too much.

If you have access to hairdryer could heat to soften then use rubber spatula to scrape

Perhaps if you pour a close to boiling kettle of water and keep the drain plug in the sink to catch the water and wax together, then when it cools you can lift the wax off the water, but its probably all over and fixed by now, so sorry for only coming in now!

Oh dear .....
I hope your units and drainer are not too badly covered
Just the drainer and surround! My own fault. The tongs slipped and splash, wax everywhere. Was trying to juggle cooking Christmas puddings, homework and help my daughter make her candles.
Having another attempt, as I want to try and make some polish.

Perhaps if you pour a close to boiling kettle of water and keep the drain plug in the sink to catch the water and wax together, then when it cools you can lift the wax off the water, but its probably all over and fixed by now, so sorry for only coming in now!
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try that one next time I have a disaster.

Just the drainer and surround! My own fault. The tongs slipped and splash, wax everywhere. Was trying to juggle cooking Christmas puddings, homework and help my daughter make her candles.
Having another attempt, as I want to try and make some polish.
Thank goodness, bees wax has to be the most difficult thing to clean up.
My advice (not that I follow it) keep wax operations to the shed.

Thank goodness, bees wax has to be the most difficult thing to clean up.
My advice (not that I follow it) keep wax operations to the shed.
Yes...it even seems to stain stainless steel :nono:

Yes...it even seems to stain stainless steel :nono:

I found brown paper and a heat gun (or hair drier if you don't have a variable heat gun) will fetch the remnants of wax that are left after a gentle scrape ... it is the most invasive stuff. I bought a £20 two burner electric stove from Lidl for wax melting and try to keep anything to do with beeswax outside the house. Honey can e=be dealt with, propolis comes off with hot washing soda ... beeswax - almost indestructible - no wonder bees have been around so long !

Like this one ... saves a lot of grief and I don't care if it gets some wax on it ... mine as under £20

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silvercr...200765?hash=item3b51d84e3d:g:e14AAOSwgU5fmelE

I bought a £20 two burner electric stove from Lidl for wax melting
A few years ago I had a lucky run on Freecycle, ended up with a fully functionbing fridge (initially destined to be a warming cabined but sidelined and is now a wine/overspill fridge in the old boiler house and still going strong) a good as new petrol garden rotavator and more importantly an electric hob ideal for wax melting 😁 .

Latest posts

Back