Birdbox Camera, Help Please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
I've just been given a bird nest box with a camera & light preinstalled, it requires connection to the PC via a hard wired USB plug.
Would it be possible to link the box via WiFi from about 50mts.
The location of my PC means it is not suitable to put the box nearby, it really needs to go on a shed across the yard, there is power in the shed to drive any device.
Currently we don't have any sort of WiFi equipment.
Suggestions on whether it's possible and cheap options would be welcome.

Tim :xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010:

... it requires connection to the PC via a hard wired USB plug.

No problem, you can buy a remote/Wi Fi kit that will do it. :smash::smash:

My Parents bought me one (Camera end is battery powered) but I have to link it via my wife's laptop (PC).
The CD wasn't readable on a mac,:hairpull: anyone got any ideas with that?

Thanks Martin,
Any ideas on which kit to buy. I'm a novice with WiFi?
Tim

I've just been given a bird nest box with a camera & light preinstalled, it requires connection to the PC via a hard wired USB plug.
The location of my PC means it is not suitable to put the box nearby, it really needs to go on a shed across the yard, there is power in the shed to drive any device.
There is more than one variety of birdbox+camera on sale. One variety uses a TV camera (similar to the CCTV types) and connects to a TV. That runs over coax cable (like a TV aerial) and is actually better suited to a long distance cable run.

What you describe with a USB sounds like a webcam in the box. They do work, but the USB spec is limited by distance. That means total cable length, camera to PC around the 3-5 metres mark. OK for just outside a window, but not far. There are USB extenders which run over an ethernet type cable, a powered USB is usually needed to boost the power supply and they need sealing from the weather at each end. I've used them at around 20m but the set up can be temperamental. Otherwise the webcam needs to be plugged into a computer of some sort at the remote end and that linked (cable or wifi) to the PC on your desk.

Thanks Alan,
Putting the box close to the PC is not an option and buying another computer just for this is a touch over the top.

Tim.

You can get wifi boosters, but I have no idea if they'd be any use in this situation.

There's more info about the sort of equipment you might use here http://www.nestbox.co.uk/Buying-a-Camera-Nest-Box.html and a forum discussion, albeit brief, here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2417334 as well as a longer, 2009, thread here http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181116-bird-box-camera.html

There's somebody on this forum who has a beekeeping webcam, can't remember who, but it might be worth trying a site search and sending them a message to ask how they set it up.

Putting the box close to the PC is not an option and buying another computer just for this is a touch over the top.
A few years back I ran a birdbox web camera from the kitchen. The box was on the kitchen wall and the usb ran to an old laptop on the kitchen window ledge. It doesn't need to be powerful or new, this laptop was about 10 years old at the time, doing no more than occupying cupboard space. It only ran win98 but enough to host a webcam with motion detection software. The laptop has since expired with a screen fault but when working would be unlikely to raise more than 10 or 20 quid at a car boot.

There is more than one variety of birdbox+camera on sale. One variety uses a TV camera (similar to the CCTV types) and connects to a TV. That runs over coax cable (like a TV aerial) and is actually better suited to a long distance cable run.

and if you havent already got a small TV, one would only be a few quid now that we dont have monologue signals, as people dumped them because they didnt know they would still work if you used a freeview box.

That's what I have. Hubby put four up earlier this week and there is a camera to go in the new owl box (old tree blew down)
You can get a splitter thing to switch between boxes or even watch all at the same time on the tv screen.
Last year in the old house we watched Blue Tit, Great Tit and Sparrows hatch grow and fledge and an uncountable number of wrens pile into one box every night in the winter. Great fun:)

Latest posts

Back