birch trees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forest harvesting simulator of forest worker school.

Competition of students

Harvesting birches

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3LBzlgKogc[/ame]

Last edited:
Forest harvesting simulator of forest worker school.

Competition of students

Harvesting birches

Finland is a big, empty, forested country- 1.5 times the size of the uk, and less than 1/11 of the population. Take off Scotland, which is sparsely populated, and britain is roughly a third the size of Finland, with 10 times the population. Worries about preserving trees which may seem ridiculous to a Finn, are a serious matter in our overpopulated and over-concreted island.

which may seem ridiculous to a Finn, are a serious matter in our overpopulated and over-concreted island.

I have been 6 times in England. It is everywhere fields, roads and homeyards.

I have visited in old forest which is still there because it is winter flooding area.

In Leicester "forest" was classified so that it has 6 tree trunks together.

Yes, we have trees everywhere and we have lived with selling forest products. But now Russia is the biggest saw mill product seller. They have 60 times more forest than Finland and they are poor like rats of the church.

.2 years ago in Russia forest fires burned an area which is half of Finland. Next summer fires were even worse.

Comprimise. If you cut them down, plant willow in their place. Good for river bank, biodiversity and good for bees?

Comprimise. If you cut them down, plant willow in their place. Good for river bank, biodiversity and good for bees?

Sounds like a damn good plan - and easy, as well as free - there's plenty of willows everywhere - just cut a few slips off (something about the size of a pencil is adequate, but just the last foot of a twig will do) Stick them into the ground at this time of the year and they'll invariably root. Crack willow gives the best catkins but isn't the prettiest, any willow is good just look around you and take your pick

Or plant the willows now, then cut down the birch in 10 years?

But willow is not good burning wood, low calorific value!
E

Hi Finman,
My garden is full of these mushrooms - Honey Fungus. The jury is out in the UK as to whether one should eat them or not. Some people get sick from them apparently. How do you cook them if you have eaten them?

If you wish to help healthy shrubs barrier against honey fungus paint armillitox on the bottom 6-12inches of them the plants then take it down in the Cambium layer and the honey fungus doesn't like it. I have a customer who had half of her hedge killed by honey fungus, along with many trees one being an enormous cherry tree we now go round the garden with the armillitox once a month and there hasn't been a casualty due to honey fungus since!

I must try guerrilla planting willow slips pushed into soil...

I've had a 100% success rate in planting huge willow cuttings, some as much as 4" across and 20' tall. Just use a pry bar or something similar to make a hole two feet or more deep so they don't get blown around too much as that will break any newly formed roots.

Instant trees as far as I am concerned!

And if you can, make it a white willow. In seven years time you'll have a valuable asset on your hands. Or, at least, in the 1960s, when I spent a couple of summers working for Essex County Council as a willow tree inspector the cricket bat industry paid a good sum for clean, straight trunks. Are the top quality cricket bats still made in this country, and if not, do we export the willow to India, China or wherever, or do they use local willow?

I see a pattern developing here!
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back