birch trees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We planted two birch trees when we move dhere 30 years ago. they were then 1 meter tall.

They are now 15-20 meters tall.

Birch is a pioneer species and will rapidly colonise disturbed ground. Forestry is 100% sustainable based on thinning then harvesting and re planting (or in some cases regeneration from seed). If you need the wood then use it but create conditions for the trees to regenerate or plant some more. I would expect that the young vigorous trees would be most beneficial to the bees. Birch is shorter lived in the UK than Finland and grows rapidly but has little resistance to rot.

I would expect that the young vigorous trees would be most beneficial to the bees. .

We have here birch everywhere. In economical forest it is a weed. It is cutted down as young.

It grows rapidly and its branches whipe in wind and violates the top growth of pine.

Birch has no value for bees. If we think honeydew, spruce, pine and populus are meaningfull. It needs long hot period that honeydew of aphids accumulates on leaves. If it rains, it washes sugar down.

But most Finnish people love birches. It is common "home yard tree". Many think that is is "holy tree" and it has magic powers. If so, why it cannot protect itself against chainsaw.

As cultivated birch is most valuable as a raw material of ply. The quality of trunk must be good.

We import much birch from Russia.

Koivutukki-puu-puuntuonti-mets%C3%A4talous

Last edited:
Birch being windpollinated produces no nectar for bees and its pollen doesn't have a very large balanced range of amino acids in its proteins so has limited value for bees. Having said that I use chunks of dried rotten birch as smoker fuel.

My wood burner is the main source of heating and the woodland all round us provides the fuel - however silver birch is not used. Oak and Sweet Chestnut are preferred. It does however make excellent smoker fuel.

I didn't spend weekends planting trees in Wales for biodiversity for the likes of you to chop them down

Do you realy plant silver birch?

Here they grow everywhere including the middle of what we call a lawn. They strangle the conifir plantations and have to be weeded out. The heath is turning to silver birch forest and there are working parties out every year keeping it in check.The dust in the attic is mostly silver birch seed. We could do a pick your own on silver birch and holly :)

It's called coppicing, they grow again from the cut stem and twelve years later you cut them again. It's been going on for years in the country.......you townies!
E

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you realy plant silver birch?

Here they grow everywhere including the middle of what we call a lawn. They strangle the conifir plantations and have to be weeded out. The heath is turning to silver birch forest and there are working parties out every year keeping it in check.The dust in the attic is mostly silver birch seed. We could do a pick your own on silver birch and holly :)
No to be honest with you, oak are the main trees

It's called coppicing, they grow again from the cut stem and twelve years later you cut them again. It's been going on for years in the country.......you townies!
E

Sorry enrico, wasn't having a go at you but I know lots of people that go into woods and do a bit of cutting for their own wood burners, big oak trees gone

E

I agree. It will grow back.

Also sometimes it benefits the stream and the biodiversity by letting light in. This is why Natural England will sometimes grant aid clearing back trees on river banks.

That copping. The cutted tree stump will make sprouts and the quality is the worst.
The stumb and roots will rotten and mostly a young tree gets rotten centre from its origin.
Makes no sense that wood cultivation.

In Finland that kind of tree nursing will not been accepted.

I know the idea of copping. You get different size of wood from stumps.

But birch is one of the worst tree to rotten.

Birch tends not to coppice well, especially trees over about 6 inches diameter trunk, but they can be pollarded if you're really careful. Finman is right, birch doesn't like being cut and is more likely to rot, especially if they're growing in wet ground.

They provide a good wildlife habitat, take water from the soil in the summer and the roots help stabilise the edges of ponds, streams and rivers. Why the enthusiasm to chop them down and burn the timber? If they aren't a nuisance, why can't they be left alone?

The original post said he had large birch trees what should he do with them.....nothing about planting new ones.....cut them down, burn them and

That is really stupid/wrong idea. Next tree generation will be rotten more or less.

There are some bad mushrooms which move to healthy tree and rotten them.

This is one of mushrooms which is able to kill healty trees and moves from stumps. - good to eate however.

Armillaria borealis

mesis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Enrico: we are lucky to have the choice to live in the country.

I have a apartment in capital city and summer cottage in country village.
I think that I am douple good as a human.

I've planted 450 trees adjacent to my apiaries this year courtesy of the Woodland Trust. Silver birch is one of the group that is particularly good for supporting wildlife:
Hawthorn, blackthorn, hazel, silver birch, rowan, wild cherry and common oak.

There will be more available free to those who want to plant, rather than burn, bee friendly trees.
http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/moretreesmoregood/free-trees/Pages/free-tree-packs.aspx

Bob

That is really stupid/wrong idea. Next tree generation will be rotten more or less.

There are some bad mushrooms which move to healthy tree and rotten them.

This is one of mushrooms which is able to kill healty trees and moves from stumps. - good to eate however.

Armillaria borealis

mesis.jpg

Hi Finman,
My garden is full of these mushrooms - Honey Fungus. The jury is out in the UK as to whether one should eat them or not. Some people get sick from them apparently. How do you cook them if you have eaten them?

Latest posts

Back