Big boy - He was an egg last spring.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We kept bourbon red turkeys for a while. The stag (Tommy) was a horny beast, ready to get fruity with anything and everything, literally. A chap walked across the garden with a large plastic bag, the bag became the centre of Tommys universe and he was desperate to mate with it, the elderly beekeeper carrying the bag wasn't so impressed. Tommy shimmied up to scaffold to show the electrician how much he liked him, my daughter carried a broom in the garden because Tommy REALLY liked her. He would mount anything and everything, he was good to go during all daylight hours, he had phenomenal stamina. Heck, knowing him, I doubt sleep stopped him going through the motions. After a spot of fox trouble Tommy got it into his head that our vizsla (dog) was a threat. Tommy and his girls hounded him (the Viz), picked fights and chased him. Understand that if one of them has a beef with you, they all have a beef with you. It got so bad that the turkeys had to go. I love turkeys. After the Tommy experience I carried on each year with a few for the table, but the last lot we had were commercial whites, the females dressed out at over 30lbs, no way the oven was big enough.
Drake's are quite determined too. If it's got feathers it's fair game no matter what species😀

This is my breeding male. I call him Mr Gobbler, the wife and kids call him 'Christmas'. We hatched him a couple of years ago. He hates everyone, and anyone who isn't me. Has been known to draw blood. I have no issue with him doing that, as he is isolated on the farm, and anyone who goes near him, deserves what they get from him.

20210129_162145.jpg

Here he is with one of the eggs that we hatched last year, so his 'son'. The jake is more placid than its father.

20210129_162151.jpg

The jake (on the left) has a smaller beard than the older bird. The beard is the black hair that comes from the chest. Lady turkeys get all giddy for the beard, and the bigger the beard, the better.

We hatch loads of eggs each year. Currently we have in our breeding stock (Chickens) Light Sussex, Marans, Legbars, Leghorns, black Orpingtons, Naked Necks, Polish, Lavender Bantams (Ducks) Aylesbury, Runner, Khaki (Geese) Toulouse, Franconian, Steinbacher and some crosses. It is a little side business, which is growing year on year.

This is my breeding male. I call him Mr Gobbler, the wife and kids call him 'Christmas'. We hatched him a couple of years ago. He hates everyone, and anyone who isn't me. Has been known to draw blood. I have no issue with him doing that, as he is isolated on the farm, and anyone who goes near him, deserves what they get from him.

View attachment 24178

Here he is with one of the eggs that we hatched last year, so his 'son'. The jake is more placid than its father.

View attachment 24179

The jake (on the left) has a smaller beard than the older bird. The beard is the black hair that comes from the chest. Lady turkeys get all giddy for the beard, and the bigger the beard, the better.

We hatch loads of eggs each year. Currently we have in our breeding stock (Chickens) Light Sussex, Marans, Legbars, Leghorns, black Orpingtons, Naked Necks, Polish, Lavender Bantams (Ducks) Aylesbury, Runner, Khaki (Geese) Toulouse, Franconian, Steinbacher and some crosses. It is a little side business, which is growing year on year.
That's an impressive snood. Causes a bit of entertainment when it gets swallowed while eating. 🥺

I’m after some Black Copper Maran eggs to incubate, any one know where I can buy from, either internet or collect ( live in East Yorks). Maybe too early & sorry I know it’s a bee forum!
Hi etton ive had marans in the past... Murton livestock sale used to have a very good fowl sale including hatching eggs.. On twice a year... Not too far a trip... Dunno if its on now with covid otherwise internet buying
Yes posting does affect hatching rate unfortunately
Cuckoo maran lovely blue birds.. Welsummer also dark eggs..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back