Best trees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all just wandering what are the best foraging fruit trees to plant in my apiary I have three pear trees in now cheers all Neil

Hi all just wandering what are the best foraging fruit trees to plant in my apiary I have three pear trees in now cheers all Neil

This year we saw plum blossom come and go, followed by the pear blossom and apple is currently on the wane. I don’t have much hope of decent fruit load since we haven't seen a bee anywhere near them during all this.

This year we saw plum blossom come and go, followed by the pear blossom and apple is currently on the wane. I don’t have much hope of decent fruit load since we haven't seen a bee anywhere near them during all this.

Our apple trees were/are really buzzing, 3 species of bumblebee andlots and lots of the home team

So many bees in the apple trees today they drowned out the noise from the lawnmower!! loads and loads of orientation flights in the apiary I'm just hoping the (assumed) VQ in the supersedure hive got laid so she'll start layin :D

But back to the OP's question - plums blossom first, any apple tree will attract, some flower later than others (Lane's Prince Albert is one) Get some autumn raspberries tucked away somewhere - they're fairly low maintenance and will colonise any awkward spots to give the bees some late nectar as well.

Bee-bee tree, or Tetradium daniellii, and is often referred to as Korean evodia. This broadleaf, deciduous tree forms a rounded, umbrella-like canopy and normally grows to 30 feet with an equal-sized spread. Bees cannot resist the small, fragrant blossoms that appear in clusters in the summer. The bee-bee tree is native to Korea and China

I have 16 I planted 2 years ago and they are now around 1.5 meters tall this year so far and it looks like I will be planting them out this year to there final position in a field behind my house. The farmer has given me permission to plant them in a row along the dividing part of the field. I may get some honey out them in 6-8 years once they are big enough.

Noticed many bee foraging on the prunus (cherry) trees at Kew last year. I have a TaiHaku that is worked on.

I have to say that while a tree can give a lot to the bees, it does so for a very short time.
Flowering shrubs, lavender and fuchsia in particular, seem to have a much much longer flowering (and providing) season.
Among fruits, raspberry is much liked by the bees.

Astonishingly, Ivy is probably the most useful thing to have around. With enough Ivy in the neighbourhood, your bees will go into winter well-stocked, without you having to to do much if any feeding.
And Crocus provides early pollen for spring build-up - for longer, and through worse weather than willow ...
/ but you won't get much fruit off any of these!

Last edited:
Crocus in the spring.Ivy in the autumn as itma says and Evodia in late summer as Winker has mentioned.
My raspberries and blueberries were covered in bumbles last year.
Sedums are good too.
Nice if the council ignores balsam too :leaving:

from Finman on another thread

i made a false swarm over another hive into langstroth box. Emerger queen mated then.
After 2 days laying it went away with swarm.

Rasberry gove so much nectar that foragers filled all cells with fresh nectar.

Last edited:
We are surrounded on our land by acacia trees here - also have a variety of apple, cherry and pear trees. The Lime trees are alive with bees when they flower - but we also are surrounded by Himalayan Balsam - which apparently isn't here in France!?
I agree though the rosemary and lavender will provide long term flowers - for early also look to hellebore - our white hellebore, out from January usually, along with the crocus provide an early feed, whilst I agree the ivy around in the wood is excellent for a late feed.

A mixture of fruit trees is probably best then you will have blossom for a longer period. I have damson, Victoria plum, apple (cooking and eating varieties), and pear. I find that the apple blossom is the most fragrant and pleasant.

Fruit trees.. Well, it is tricky for me. The pears has something ( if I recall right I think someone mention some amid compounds) in nectar cause of which bees avoid them, but wild pear ( Pyrus pyraster) has no this and bees are all over them. This I saw practically, cause one huge tree of pear whole in white of flowers and no single bee, but some 200 meters wild pear sounds like the swarms are on it. Next thing cherry and wild cherry - Prunus avium. Bees like more the wild cherries. The hives were beneath one huge domestic cherry and I was surprised to not see any bee on their flowers, but 50 meters from the hives again "swarms" on the wild cherry. For me wild cherry here is very important first of all of great amount of nectar and pollen which gives great boost to colony build up, and at the end if the weather behave some aromatic honey for me before main flow here.
Plums are something which also gives nectar and pollen. For much I saw, all are well attended by the bees.
But to plant all these fruits is a gamble here cause we have unpredictable spring and sometimes flowering passed in rains, frosts, winds..
But again when the year is right, it gives you great smile on your face. Like this spring was never such great for a wild cherry here and other forest fruits. I think the most time of their flowering was nice weather. So I got huge amount of nicely drawn combs, some honey yield, bees built their colonies superbly ( even later main forage failed and all the strength not used at full..).
Beside these fruits here also is important early - cornel. Again, it flowers also when is snow on the ground, but when come period of warmer weather in late winter-early spring bees are first on it's flowers ( also gives nectar and pollen) and let say here the first sources of nectar and pollen in new year in important quantities. And nice and refreshing drink You can get from it, some make jams or so.

Almost forgot lately we had some shrubs of Black chokeberry which turned to be very interesting to the bees ( I don't know how much of nectar it gives to the bees, but pollen for sure), and also we got its fruits for us..

Blackberry and raspberry - in our conditions they give great amount of nectar ( but no trees..).

Interesting thing for the Ivy - in your conditions as you say it is OK, here is the most undesirable as winter store for the bees. I think something like honeydew, lot of indigestible matter for the bees and in winter bees got -you know..

Really helpful post Goran, thanks now I need to look up Cornel, never heard of it!

Apparently cornel is a type of cornus. Just goggled it! Or even googled it!

Nice if the council ignores balsam too :leaving:

[/I]

Don't worry they will - if they're anything like Carmarthenshire - who thinks of the ratepayer as a cash cow to be milked dry, they won't spend a penny on anything unless they have to - just had a very trying community council meeting last night and crossed swords with the leader of Carmarthenshire council on various matters including pollinators so I haven't quite stepped off my soapbox yet! (I know that every circus has to have a clown - but not often do they put him in charge!!) You should move just a little further South and East - the Cothi river corridor is chocker with it!

Malus Evereste (crab apple). Never seen a tree covered in so much blossom each year and of course bees of every sort. Heavy crop of crab apples for birds and possibly humans but never tried them.

Don't worry they will - if they're anything like Carmarthenshire - who thinks of the ratepayer as a cash cow to be milked dry, they won't spend a penny on anything unless they have to - just had a very trying community council meeting last night and crossed swords with the leader of Carmarthenshire council on various matters including pollinators so I haven't quite stepped off my soapbox yet! (I know that every circus has to have a clown - but not often do they put him in charge!!) You should move just a little further South and East - the Cothi river corridor is chocker with it!

Your council is by no means unique!

Astonishingly, Ivy is probably the most useful thing to have around. With enough Ivy in the neighbourhood, your bees will go into winter well-stocked, without you having to to do much if any feeding.

This has been my experience. I haven't stuffed my colonies with syrup yet, because they always seem to have so much from the late summer/early autumn.

Even when I've fed, it;s been a relatively small amount of fondant –*no more than a kilo on any hive this winter.

Latest posts

Back