Best drill for Giordan 8 frame extractor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there,

Have taken the plunge and ordered a drill-driven Giordan 8 frame extractor now that the productive colony count has risen above 10. I hope the honey yield justifies the purchase! Anyway, I decided not to take up the option of the provided drill, but to look for one that would suit both the extractor and general DIY purposes.

For those of you with experience of this type of extractor, what make/model of drill do you use and why? I'm also interested to hear your general experience of this model of extractor...I found that the forum contains many positive comments about it, which is why I went for it, but any more hints and tips would be great.

Thanks!

Drill

Hi there,

Have taken the plunge and ordered a drill-driven Giordan 8 frame extractor now that the productive colony count has risen above 10. I hope the honey yield justifies the purchase! Anyway, I decided not to take up the option of the provided drill, but to look for one that would suit both the extractor and general DIY purposes.

For those of you with experience of this type of extractor, what make/model of drill do you use and why? I'm also interested to hear your general experience of this model of extractor...I found that the forum contains many positive comments about it, which is why I went for it, but any more hints and tips would be great.

Thanks![/QUOTE Hi I use a Elu mbh 20 Veriable speed drill with sds fitting chuck, I take the chuck of and connect the drill to the Exstractor with a sds
Drill bit that I have welded to the drive of the Exstractor, so it is a quick relece it work excellent

That one looks a good option- could be useful for creaming soft set honey too I guess ( using one of those corkscrew-like things)

Jeff (Buzz),

So, I finally got my extractor today and am trying to fit the Silverline drill you recommended (which is a great drill, by the way)...my problem is that there is not a 'collar' on the Silverline and so it won't fit into the drill holder supplied with the extractor...the drill just dangles there after attaching the drill pulley of the extractor to the drill drive shaft. This doesn't seem right to me...the pulley won't stay in alignment and it will stress the drive mechanism over the long term. What is your solution to this? Bear in mind I am not a DIY expert!

Thanks!

Can you post some pics as it may make it easier

Craig

I use an Aldi drill that was reduced to £8.99 so if it burns out I have lost very little money - it has lasted three years so far. With my drill, I had to take the chuck off so that it would fit.

It's not a problem with taking the chuck off. It's more the shape of the drill housing. The silverline has a short square 'neck' before the drive shaft, while the drill clamp on the giordan is designed for a long(er) round neck. Hence the silverline will not go into the drill clamp, and will simply hang below. When switched on, there is no resistance to movement ( it can't be clamped...) so the drill will revolve rather than driving the frame cage!

Does that make sense?

I don't see how that toolstation drill will fit.
You need one which has a removable handle at the front, because the extractor clamps around that bit where you have taken the handle off.

That's exactly my point... But Jeff buzz recommended that drill. So I'm hoping he or someone else can explain how to fit it!

Just to say that I use a Wickes 810w bog-standard variable speed drill. It's about 7 years old (about £17 at the time) and the switch broke so it's no use as a drill any more but I've rigged up a variable resistor to control the speed and it works very well. The collar was a little large to fit in the ring but I sanded it down to reduce the diameter and it now fits. I suspect the various plastic casing on different drills are not standard.

I've come to the conclusion that the link in the recommendation was a mistake. The clamp on the extractor is clearly designed for a round collar if the type typical of hammer drills. I should've checked, but there is always eBay for the mixing drill I no longer need!

Back