Bespoke label for retailer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
We've a prospective retailer (tourist attraction) asking if we would brand our honey as their brand for their shop. Anyone do that? Trying to get my head around the implications.

Thanks
Tony

Lots of companies do this. Have a look at the labels of honey sold in loads of touristy locations and see what they do. Sometimes it isn't even local.

I did it For a farm shop. You have to have your own address on the label though

Will they pay for the whole batch of labels upfront?

I did it For a farm shop. You have to have your own address on the label though
That is not the case. I white label for my local shop (so we are not in direct competition) and the only address on the label is the shop’s.
I am traceable via the shop’s records of purchase..

That is not the case. I white label for my local shop (so we are not in direct competition) and the only address on the label is the shop’s.
You are quite right. I asked this very question of an expert running a course for the BBKA recently; she told me it had to be the address of the Producer, not the seller. After a quick look at regulations, it seems she was wrong, I was wrong, you are right and a responsible seller's address is acceptable

You are quite right. I asked this very question of an expert running a course for the BBKA recently; she told me it had to be the address of the Producer, not the seller. After a quick look at regulations, it seems she was wrong, I was wrong, you are right and a responsible seller's address is acceptable
It’s always useful to question “experts” 😁

it's the packer, rather than the producer that is relevant, and if the majority of your hives are at out apiaries and not the same premises as where you extract, under the new guidelines you are seen as a packer, and not a primary producer.

it's the packer, rather than the producer that is relevant, and if the majority of your hives are at out apiaries and not the same premises as where you extract, under the new guidelines you are seen as a packer, and not a primary producer.
Is this recent? It has implications for everybody regarding their processing premises.

Expert and BBKA in same sentence.... questionable, then I read on and the status quo was returned. 🤣

Am I right in thinking that your Local Authority requires you to register as a food business if you white label your honey? We are just exploring this with our own LA and they say that white labeling counts as wholesaling and the exemption from the food hygiene regulations that exists for direct selling therefore doesn't apply?

That is interesting and I’ve never heard that before.
I’m registered anyway so it doesn’t effect my business and most beekeepers who had enough honey to supply wholesale would probably be registered already.
The process is simple and the LA inspectors are very helpful.

Reactions: Kaz
Back