Beginners !!! Wasp management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detergent?

. . . . wasp abdomens are hollow and so act as buoyancy aids. Once the first few wasps drown they form a raft that the other wasps crawl over.
Think you'll find that although "hollow" they are permeable & soon sink.

You should try being dropped in water in an immersion suit. If you get it wrong the "Buoyant" part of the suit can end up being your legs! Thus forcing the less buoyant end of the body, (head & shoulders) under the surface of the water!
Fortunately inflatable life jackets are issued along with immersion suits to correct the initial in-balance. Not sure Wasps have the same benefits!

However, without the surface tension they don't get away.
I'll stick with what I've experienced to be effective.

Up or down wind makes no difference at all, how often does the wind blow in the same direction :rolleyes:

Never heard of "Prevailing wind"?

Where we are it is SW straight into the massive lleylandii hedge that provides a soft break for my hives. If it switches to the NE when a storm passes the hives are sheltered by the slope of the land and a garden shed.
Trees one side and a hedge 20' away the other side. They don't know how good they have it........
Millet being in the North east I guess has more unpredictable wind, (ha ha no disrespect meant but thought Od leave it in) due to being near the coast.
Personally I don't have that issue.
Trying the trap will make a judgement if the bees don't benefit it will move to protecting the times when we have BBQ's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have one next to the raspberries which were getting hammered
Seems to be more in the trap than around the raspberries. Perhaps the bait is nicer tasting

Or I know neighbours and beekeepers with one allergy and not the other. :D

Quantities please, or it's still irrelevant! :D

Or, as I said, you're very unlucky.
The probability of you having all these friends, beekeepers, and now neighbours, who carry epipens is as rare as their chance of being allergic! :D

I know one person who carries an epipen and that's for a peanut allergy.

Maybe there's some strange localised wasp allergy phenomenon occurring in anyone who knows you!? :D

Bingevader, the wasp toll on human health is massive just as it is massively under reported. Anaphylaxis represents a small fragment of the total spectrum of health complications from wasp stings. If this is an area of interest then to be fair to this thread and the OP it might pay to start another thread.

Quantities please, or it's still irrelevant! :D

Or, as I said, you're very unlucky.
The probability of you having all these friends, beekeepers, and now neighbours, who carry epipens is as rare as their chance of being allergic! :D

I know one person who carries an epipen and that's for a peanut allergy.

Maybe there's some strange localised wasp allergy phenomenon occurring in anyone who knows you!? :D

OK 5 would be a fair number, sounds small but factor in the population of the UK. I know other people carrying epipens for other allergies.

Where we are it is SW straight into the massive lleylandii hedge that provides a soft break for my hives. If it switches to the NE when a storm passes the hives are sheltered by the slope of the land and a garden shed.
Trees one side and a hedge 20' away the other side. They don't know how good they have it........
Millet being in the North east I guess has more unpredictable wind, (ha ha no disrespect meant but thought Od leave it in) due to being near the coast.
Personally I don't have that issue.
Trying the trap will make a judgement if the bees don't benefit it will move to protecting the times when we have BBQ's

100% Correct Colin but not bowel wind i must add lol, the wind very rarely blows in the same direction even through out the day never mind weeks, it can go from N to W to E and south within minutes at times, that is why i mentioned wind direction and what have ya. ;)

does fondant give of less a 'scent' than sugar water I have hive building up and was thinking of sticking a bit on just to help with comb building and stores?

I doubt it. If you need to feed and are concerned reduce the entrance and use a trap to help out if lots of wasps are trying to get in.

I doubt it. If you need to feed and are concerned reduce the entrance and use a trap to help out if lots of wasps are trying to get in.

Or read the full thread and leave the forum.. just kidding about leaving there's many many threads on the wasp subject if you care to use the search facility you may find what you are looking for but then again it sometimes does not help.

If this is an area of interest then to be fair to this thread and the OP it might pay to start another thread.

Nope, not a particular area of interest, just bemused by the gross generalisations again!

Just like this:
the wasp toll on human health is massive just as it is massively under reported.
What?!
What does that even mean?
It's all another conspiracy theory! :D

Or read the full thread and leave the forum :sorry:.. just kidding about leaving there's many many threads on the wasp subject.. if you care to use the search facility you may find what you are looking for but then again it sometimes does not help.

Nope, not a particular area of interest, just bemused by the gross generalisations again!
......snip.......
What?!
What does that even mean?
It's all another conspiracy theory! :D

If only. But given that you appear to be a polite pedant :) :

Anything of the order of 200,000 to 400,000 people per annum seek primary care attention and receive topical anaesthetics, pain killers, antihistamines, topical steroids, antibiotics.

Anything of the order of 5000 people are treated in A&E departments for serious acute complications one of the most common being swelling inside the throat threatening airways from swallowed or inhaled wasps and the other being cellulitis.

Of the order of 2000 admissions for more serious complications including amputations, surgical treatment of compartment syndrome, organ failure etc.

Then there's Kounis syndrome which us the unknown elephant in the room but could be accounting for 1000 ish silent miss diagnosed fatalities per annum and 1000 ish admissions into CCUs for STEMIs and severe angina attacks.

Any further questions really ought to go in another thread.

If only. But given that you appear to be a polite pedant :) :

Anything of the order of 200,000 to 400,000 people per annum seek primary care attention and receive topical anaesthetics, pain killers, antihistamines, topical steroids, antibiotics.

Anything of the order of 5000 people are treated in A&E departments for serious acute complications one of the most common being swelling inside the throat threatening airways from swallowed or inhaled wasps and the other being cellulitis.

Of the order of 2000 admissions for more serious complications including amputations, surgical treatment of compartment syndrome, organ failure etc.

Then there's Kounis syndrome which us the unknown elephant in the room but could be accounting for 1000 ish silent miss diagnosed fatalities per annum and 1000 ish admissions into CCUs for STEMIs and severe angina attacks.

Any further questions really ought to go in another thread.

Karol, can you describe in a layman's terms the symptoms and effects of Kounis to look out for? Since it has been said to be overlooked or misdiagnosed it seems sensible to know what to be aware of.

With the greatest of respect to all contributors please keep to the thread which is wasp control !!

Anything else on Allergic reactions, Flouncing, medical
Conditions in elderly men, et al can you please start a new thread

I intended for this to be a heads up for beginners.....!!!

(Hangs head in disbelief)

KR

Somerford

Well, to be honest, I hung my head in disbelief when I saw the original post! :D

I only got involved when the generalisations started and were being used as excuses for demonising and getting rid of wasps.

A "heads up" for beginners needs to have the whole picture.
If you were hoping for a "sticky" of some sort, I'm afraid you'll have to try a bit harder.

If you've taken the less drastic measures suggested then a strong colony should not have any problem.
We lost a weak colony this year after several attempts at revival and various treatments.
I'm actually quite glad that the wasps came in and cleared out the stores.
They've been no bother to any other hive.

We had a wasp nest within 5m of the hives last year, it was a pleasure to watch and again, was no bother to any of the hives in the apiary.

I'm not sure we should be advocating wholesale trapping of wasps or fumigating of nests unless it's absolutely necessary.

@Karol: Thanks for the complement. :D
But as a polite pedant, you know what is coming next.
Any chance of a couple of references for those statistics, please?

Bing you're completely at odds with me on many points there, but mostly in your assertion that I was looking to get this made a 'sticky' post.

A Ridiculous assertion on your part

A 'heads up' is common speak for 'watchout and stop what you're doing and consider whether you need to take action'

Once you have taken stock, you can either take action or do nothing and continue as you were. Up to you.

KR

S

Latest posts

Back