Beginners !!! Wasp management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put honey in the wasp trap 2yrs ago and it kept catching bees, i had to empty it and hose it out, larger and strawberry jam is bee safe.

By the sound of it Erichalfbee's bait honey probably doesn't actually count as honey...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ha ha your mistake was stepping on the bee, stepping on the wasp works better, less tug of war.

Ha ha, yep I stood on the already dead bee but also the wasp

Just out of interest how close / far away from your hives are you guys putting these traps? Is there an optimum distance? i.e. Too far away not effect too close brings the wasps in.

Wingy

The instructions are online at waspbane website but it looks like they search up wind so trap is placed downwind of the area to be protected therefore the wasps don't get as far as the hive. Can't remember if it was 10' or 10m

The instructions are online at waspbane website but it looks like they search up wind so trap is placed downwind of the area to be protected therefore the wasps don't get as far as the hive. Can't remember if it was 10' or 10m

I'm sure you have to think about this. My colonies are all in a line. 8/9 boxes in 20metres. I put a trap next to a couple of weaker colonies (nucs)
They have caught wasps. I also put one downwind of the last in the line. Not a single wasp there but they are a strong colony and I dare say no wasp would emerge from that hive unles it was shredded and dropped through the OMF.
While we are talking of hives in a line. I'm sure this colony is strong because more bees have drifted there than any other

Assuming Karol is still a member on the forum, I assume he is but keeping his head down, from my experience and reading this thread he deserves a :thanks:from us.

He got all sorts of carp but kept coming back with his knowledge and advice.

I was just looking at waspbane, and also the last traps I just attached, your right they don't look so good!

I could really do with one waspbane for my two hives but they are back to back and about 2 ft apart, maybe I'll try one in between, any idea how close to the hive they need to be?

Also do people use these when they see wasps near the hive or before?

Thanks

Lots of wasps here in North Wales. Have just set up waspbane. For last two years have been using a screen (sorry can't remember where I saw it suggested). It is basically a frame of the same size as the entrance side of the hive. There is an opening at the top and the bottom of the frame. Within the frame, the screen is fine mesh. It is held in position by a bungy around the hive. The idea is that bees quickly learn to use the vertical routes, but wasps keep trying to directly enter the hive. I've no way of carrying out a scientific assessment of its value, but casual observations show lots of wasps in the area but none within the hive. The bees don't seem to have any problems.

I was just looking at waspbane, and also the last traps I just attached, your right they don't look so good!

I could really do with one waspbane for my two hives but they are back to back and about 2 ft apart, maybe I'll try one in between, any idea how close to the hive they need to be?

Also do people use these when they see wasps near the hive or before?

Thanks

Have a search on the forum, lots of good advice on waspbane.

Site the trap downwind of your hives. You want the trap to intercept the wasps as they track the bait. Putting the trap in the middle of your hives will.... Attract them to your hives :):)

I only use traps when the wasps are actively stealing honey. Prior to that they do alot of good keeping pests down

I put honey in the wasp trap 2yrs ago and it kept catching bees.

:svengo:
that must have been a surprise for you?

Bees,

Attracted to

Honey?

At least we learn form others mistakes, has anyone heard of the bloke who gave himself Arsenic Poisoning by eating cherry stones? :ohthedrama:

Does anyone have any recommendation for what they use?

Vinegar, anything sweet, old fruit & a little washing up liquid (it breaks the surface tension on the water meaning they sink).

Last edited:
:svengo:

that must have been a surprise for you?

Bees,

Attracted to

Honey?

At least we learn form others mistakes, has anyone heard of the bloke who gave himself Arsenic Poisoning by eating cherry stones? :ohthedrama:

Easy mistake to make as the Waspbane instructions on the box say to put 100ml of honey in the trap mixed with other things.
It was why I asked to clarify this as I haven't used them previously.

Easy mistake to make as the Waspbane instructions on the box say to put 100ml of honey in the trap mixed with other things.
It was why I asked to clarify this as I haven't used them previously.

In Millet's defence the instructions do say to use honey (and lager) Maybe Martin has eaten too many cherry stones....

In Millet's defence the instructions do say to use honey (and lager) Maybe Martin has eaten too many cherry stones....

I will let folk learn the hard way like me if they want to try Honey in the traps, it is bad advice to use honey imo from experience, but if know one believes me or thinks i am talking doo doo crack on and you will find out for yourselves . ;)

Just been to look at my hives & saw a wasp coming out & flying off with half a bee, bit of a sad sight. I've had them around all week, not in big numbers. The hive is a newly transferred nuc, I have the entrance at a minimum and a acetate film curved over the front, along with a newly placed waspbane trap.
On the plus side I have found a wasp nest under my neighbours roof tiles, 50 yards from the hives, so I have been up the ladder & puffed under the tiles with wasp killer, I will put some more down tomorrow.
The powder was placed right were they enter, I lifted the tile to give that area a good blast. Does anyone know if the powder has to go right on the nest, or do they pick it up like food? Or track it back? The powder is called Zero In, from Amazon.
Thanks Nick

Latest posts

Back