Beginner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2 big pussy willow trees (not mine) only about 50m from my hives - the bees are all over it when it flowers, a great early pollen source. I suspect that's why mine build up so well in the spring.

it is so quiet, no one comes down except the ones I mentioned. Got 'private keep out', no cold sellers
May feel secure and you are determined, but it sounds risky to me (but then I've had a colony taken from a more secure site than this). You haven't confirmed it, but I guess that the private road is accessible from the public. Once word gets out - it will, in time - it only takes a few minutes to load hives into a Transit.

300yds away there are open fields
Sounds a likely alternative; know the farmer?

you would be surprised who walks about whenyour not about .i have been stopped a few times and asked if i
have put some hives in a particular spot .signs dont stop everyone.
people talk .once they see hives .a innocent chat in the pub or shop .even by you .can lead to theft ..

May feel secure and you are determined, but it sounds risky to me (but then I've had a colony taken from a more secure site than this). You haven't confirmed it, but I guess that the private road is accessible from the public. Once word gets out - it will, in time - it only takes a few minutes to load hives into a Transit.

Sounds a likely alternative; know the farmer?
It really will be ok! The area is a retirement area, people round here wouldnt be able to move that fast, I am one of the 'younger' ones!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

you would be surprised who walks about whenyour not about .i have been stopped a few times and asked if i
have put some hives in a particular spot .signs dont stop everyone.
people talk .once they see hives .a innocent chat in the pub or shop .even by you .can lead to theft ..
No one walks down here!! its going to be well screened, when I have finished!! Thanks tho

Just noticed your Number of hives 4-12!! difficulty counting Sutty!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Currently 12 having had a very swarmy year last year & starting with too many.
Planning to unite back to 4-5 next month 🤞
Then possibly double again with splits/swarms for a while 🤦
On the plus side I got over 200kg of honey last year, though some here would probably say that's low.

Last edited:
Currently 12 having had a very swarmy year last year & starting with too many.
Planning to unite back to 4-5 next month 🤞
Then possibly double again with splits/swarms for a while 🤦
On the plus side I got over 200kg of honey last year, though some here would probably say that's low.
!! Not bad at all. Well done.

Thanks but no thanks then..
Bad enough having self seeded borage.
Self blocking comfrey does not spread unlike normal comfrey but spreading and a deep tap root ? Not for me.

Include Alkanet, a member of the borage family and a very good pollinator plant.
Might chuck those around in the out apiary then. I’ve got enough problems with bindweed and garlic chives (bloody things).

Back