? Bees with nosema

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman1872

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday with the good weather I wandered up to see the girls all seemed to be out enjoying the sunshine so couldn't get too close but came back later with suit on to take a closer look. I had a bee from my weaker colony land on my hand and promtly poo all over it very liquid like. Now I'm a nurse and I know what poops should look like just not so good with bee poop. I also noted an amount of mould on the underside of the hive roof.

Now bearing in mind the colony seems to be struggling in numbers, that a bee pooped wet stool on my hand and the presence of mould which can't be great for their general health I wondered if you guys had any ideas?

Should it be nosema has anyone evr added fumadil to fondant before? I didn't really want to give them anything liquid as when the weather turns again they are going to have issues reducing syrup down in the cells.

Thanks all

if you feed syrup to treat you are expecting them to use it stat not store it.

what insulation have you had on the hive?

can you let us know a bit more detail, please?
hive type, open mesh or solid floor, colony strength before winter, any treatment given, insulation, type of bee, etc etc.

No one can tell whether Nosema without microscope analysis - it is not difficult and anyone with half a brain and a microscope can test for Nosema disease.

There's other explanations for upset constitutions, like spoiled food stores.

national hive, solid floor, deep roof, no added insulation, fairly windy hill top, reduced entrance block, not a massively strong hive into winter, well feed in autumn, api life var given. As for type of bee well they are actually a mix of midland beeks bees and whoever the queen mated with. I didn't seal the holes in the crown board either. The hive is a hand made job by an old beek made from pine and a bit gappy in places although tried my best to seal any major gaps.

Last edited:
Can you change your location to something more accurate than UK please?

That is a serious piece of information for them what give support.

PH

It's not referred to as yellow rain for no good reason.

I would be really worried to see a constipated bee.

Had a similar situation with my hives after the cold weather. All over front of hives...... Got worried, searched google and forum. Doom and gloom. Death, desease, burn the bees and hives, call the doctor.....all is lost....

Cleaned mess from front of hives..... Next day they were out flying again and no signs any further mess.......

A short term thing after being unable to get out for a long time....

cheers for the responses, might try and watch them today if sun sticks around, does anyone else find it mesmerising just to sit and watch these busy little creatures pottering about?

I am always entranced by sitting and watching them. I almost always see something that I have not seen before too. Whiteish pollen coming into one hive. Bees dragging out the dead and flying off with them. Bees on orientation flights. I thought that this hobby would be fascinating but I had no idea that it would be this good.

Interesting one today.

Why wax can be good for bees.

Bought a new car last week..........well not new..

Polished it the other day.

After it rained the rain sat in little blobs all over the car because of the wax.

Was doing some work out on car and noticed some bees landing on the edge of the roof and drinking the water ..from the gutter..

No rain on my other car because it hasnt been cleaned for over a year...

Latest posts

Back