Bees under mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lou from Aus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I discovered loads of bees under the mesh floor of my hive. I'd noticed them coming and going from the back of my hive, didn't think much of it really, until yesterday i had a proper look. There was a clump about the size of half a football, they'd started making comb under there. I scooped them into a box and poured them back into my hive, and blocked the back off with some cardboard but they still seem to be getting in behind there. Any ideas on how to convince them to go back indoors?

Thanks,
Louise.

I had a queen return from a mating flight end up in the upturned plastic crate that the hive was sat on, where lots of the colony then relocated to.

If that's what happened to you, then as long as you scooped the queen up with the rest of the bees then they should be happy to relocate into the hive.

Is there any brood in the comb? If so, cut the comb away and either stick it into a frame or throw it away.

And check your mesh floor for holes as they might be using it as a second entrance.

Last edited:
Amazing thank you! There was no brood in the comb, I did check that. I had spotted the queen inside the hive before I relocated the downstairs lot, so I'm hoping there wasn't a second queen under there! I'll have a look at my mesh floor to make sure there's no holes.

Many thanks!

When i make my hive stands i screw a board across the front and back legs, it helps to stop the bees undershooting the landing strip.
Here is a picture.

The hen seems to like it too

It is a common problem, more common with mesh floors. Once underneath the bees don't understand why they can't get through the mesh. They think they are in the hive! You have to stop them flying under there in the first place by covering the space below the landing board and maybe the sides and back if necessary

Had a problem with two Thornes bees on a budget hives with OMF. The Omf pulled away from the rail at the back, effectively giving me two entrances. Had quite a number of bees under the floor at the back. As I clean up my floors, they are having the recommended drawing pins replaced by staples. Will not happen again.

Thank you, that's the exact hive I have too, so maybe it's a problem with that design. It does seem the mesh floor came away giving the bees a back door. Will replace tacks with staples i think!

Latest posts

Back