Bees on Laurel trees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric knockalt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8-10
At my home apiary the bees seem to be licking the underside of the leaves ,trees have fruits on them ,not ripe but i can,t see what they are after on the leaves ,they have been at this for a couple of weeks now any ideas ?

I've seen bumble bees doing this recently on an apple tree in the garden. Was wondering the same.

We visited my brothers house last week south of London and his laurel hedge had lots of honey and bumble bees on it. Like you we couldnt figure out what they were getting as they seemed to be on dry green leaves.
Alan

Thanks swarm. We goggled nectaries and have just learned something new; never new plants had extra floral nectaries.

Below is a copy of a previous post on the forum explaining. -

"Laurel, like some other plants, has extra floral nectaries. These are on the back of younger leaves in laurel - have a peep and you will see tiny pearls of nectar on the nectaries near the main rib of the leaf. The accepted theory for the extra floral nectaries is that it maintains the balance of water and sugar in the plant. EFN also help as a defensive mechanism, nectar from the EFN are attractrive to ants."

Alan

I think I read that broad beans have extral floral nectaries as well. The little black spots with tiny leaf like openings on the stems.

Swarm thanks ,"Nectaries" yes definately the younger leaves they are concentrating on ,who needs google eh when we have the wise forum masters .

Latest posts

Back