Bees not making it back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klisic

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Today was a good day for the bees as the weather was one of the best in the last week.

I noticed at least 6 bees in the grass or around the hive that didn't make it back.

Is this normal wastage or is there something wrong.

The rest were bringing in plenty of pollen.

in the recent weather many will have been seeing 10s or hundreds caught out by the weather every day. myself included.

It could also be that they did make it back, died in the hive and were then taken out by the undertakers.

Apart from the crawlers, failed bees, any flying bee once it falls to the ground, in shadow, at these air temperatures, is lost.

I believe they're unable to take-off again at 9c.

Hi Klisic
I have had quite a lot of this, I bet there has seen 4 or 5 at ties I have looked walking around in the grass I did see a drone doing the same thing. I have noticed a few do get going again.

Dave

I noticed at least 6 bees in the grass or around the hive that didn't make it back.

Is this normal wastage or is there something wrong.

Just to keep things in context. These could be part of a thousand or more dying each and every day, at this time of the year. Natural wastage is one thing, a disease problem is another.

If you wanted to, you could easily gather these up and put them in the sun (ha!) or somewhere else warm, and they will revive and after about 10-15 mins fly back home from looking apparently dead.

I have even done this with a bee apparently drowned in our little fountain, and one in a puddle on the hive roof. Not because I am squeamish, but out of interest. The last one I held on the palm of my hand and watched it come around, clean itself, then carry on out to forage!

I agree with oliver90owner - I wouldn't fret over 6 bees given the 1000's in the hive and the expected turnover rate at this time of year ... put it down to natural selection!

The local sparrows perch on my hives and are feeding their young on dead bees : just like last year.

Six is not statistically high enough to be a worry given ten thousand odd bees in the hive.

That being said, what I've noticed is that when the Varroa load is high you can get problems with DWV. So what you have to watch out for is bees regularly falling out of the hive (or being ejected) wandering around with deformed wings. It's a sure sign that the varroa load is high inside.

Bobster

I would like to think my hives have rather more than 10k bees....

One year I had 40 colonies in an old silage pit and the concrete floor was covered in dead bees. A truly scary sight.

All natural death though, and we are normally unaware of it.

Relax.

PH

The local sparrows perch on my hives and are feeding their young on dead bees : just like last year.

Interesting you say that because I've found the opposite.

e.g. There's a Robin that follows me around and darts down to pick up any exposed insects/grubs whenever I disturb the ground.

However, when I scrape-off sealed drone cells from the bottom of frames and leave them neatly cut open and exposed on the roof, they're always untouched by the next day.

Interesting you say that because I've found the opposite.

e.g. There's a Robin that follows me around and darts down to pick up any exposed insects/grubs whenever I disturb the ground.

However, when I scrape-off sealed drone cells from the bottom of frames and leave them neatly cut open and exposed on the roof, they're always untouched by the next day.

the sparrows in my garden cleared a whole drone frame in a day,they take all the dead bees from around the hives too.They are great for cleaning up around the hives

Latest posts

Back