Bees living in a Fruit Cage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runswick

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, first post, thanks for the great site guys lots of useful info here..

I have a fruit cage (20ft x 20ft x 10ft high) keeping..

Strawberrys
Rhubarb
Blackcurrants
Cooking Apple
Eating Apple
Gooseberry
Loganberry

I was thinking of setting aside an area for two beehives,

Will the bees be able to find their way out of the fruit cage?

I need to keep birds (pigeons are a problem) out - what kind of exit points would they need?

How am I best to get started with this? Should I look for someone who wants to give up their setup?

Thanks Rob

Welcome to the forum, runswick - I have 1cm mesh over my bloobs
- (I did say BLOOBS.. :D ) - and my bees get in and out of that no problem

How am I best to get started with this? Should I look for someone who wants to give up their setup?

Thanks Rob

Without wanting to appear patronising - and assuming you haven't got the relevant experience already, I'd go and do a course (As I did) because there's a lot more to keeping bees than the size of your holes.:biggrinjester:

This would IMHO be the wrong time of year to start (I bet three people say it isn't;)) and worse - a heck of a year to start in :nopity:

Where in the UK are you ? Have you handled bees before ? If you happen to be just down the road from me, I could bring a couple of hives down to see if you like them or not.

Your local association may do the same as mine - FREE BEES scheme, where if you don't like them, you hand them back after a year. If you DO like them, they're at bargan rates.:sifone:

Oh, and finally - welcome to the forum.

Thanks Luminos

1cm mesh it is then... Many Thanks for your help Luminos..

On the setup - how best to find what I need excluding the clothing protection I need to wear?

and another question.. quote -

One hive can produce 60lb (27kg) or more in a good season, however an average hive would be around 25lb (11kg) surplus.

- If I have two hives how many jars of honey will I produce?

Thanks Rob

welcome to the forum runswick, great forum with a great sense of humour.

That would depend on the size of your jars
:biggrinjester:

Welcome to the forum, runswick - I have 1cm mesh over my bloobs
- (I did say BLOOBS.. :D ) - and my bees get in and out of that no problem

ok luminus whats bloobs;)

Hi Beanwood,

Not much experience other than my grandfather used to keep bees on his and between the age of 12 and 18 I spent some time with him but probably only know 10% of what I should! [I know I have acceptable tolerance to their stings!]

Im interested in hearing about a local association - I live in York - can you tell me about the nearest one?

Regards

Hi runswick go onto the
British Beekeepers Association (BBKA you will find a list of contacts for local associations.
Click on the "About" section next to Home page

Last edited:
One hive can produce 60lb (27kg) or more in a good season, however an average hive would be around 25lb (11kg) surplus.

- If I have two hives how many jars of honey will I produce?

Thanks Rob

from none to too many to know what to do with

it's funny cos it's true:cool:

(on a more useful note, jars can be various sizes, 8oz, 12oz, 1lb)

Mine live in a fruit cage happily and have done for 3 years. It keeps the dog off, and the bees away from the lawnmowiing FinL!!

It might be stating the obvious but.... It sounds like you are still using the fruit cage. How do you feel about wearing a beesuit when you tend to your plants/trees?

Thanks for all your replies, the BBKA is an interesting website, lots more to read there now!

Latest posts

Back