Bees hanging about on the outside 22.30

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Today inspected the bees and a population explosion from a bursting nuc to a standard national 2 weeks ago. We now have brood on 9 frames, and the rest of the frames have been drawn and are busy, so we added a super and queen excluder (bamboo sort which came with hive). Tonight went to check on bees and found them hanging around the entrance which we haven't seen before. Is this normal or because we have added a super or just because of the heat. This hive did seem very full which is why we added the super, would a half brood been a better option??

Thanks

Bees will hang around outside in this weather - most of mine are out now. Also, ditch the bamboo QX and get a decent one - they are only good for steaming fish over the BBQ

I prefer the framed wire excluders - bit pricier than the others but a good bit of kit - also gives bee space above the frames so less bees get squashed and less hassle removing the QX. Funnily enough I prefer the metal slotted ones to the plastic, and you can always put an 8mm wooden bead on them to give bee space, but if you do you also need a bead across the middle of the sheet or it snags

Mine have been doing the same since I looked at about 6am this morning - just stood there, still as statues.

Did you pass any pubs on the way?

Or were you lounging in your back garden when you spotted them?

Bees were just doing the same, little bit of sitting outside after a long hot day!

Latest posts

Back