Bees covering outside of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallumB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I got a phone call while at work saying one of my hives is swarming. So I asked for a picture, and I'm sure what the picture shows is not a swarm because they all went back in after about half hour. I was told there was lots in the air as well.
I introduced a new mated queen in to this hive last week could that have anything to do with it? Also it was 18 degrees, with thick cloud and a 25mph wind. Not really swarm weather? I don't know what they were doing.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Attachments

• GIF-200629_170335.gif
    GIF-200629_170335.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
It looks like a swarm if some sort! Either from elsewhere or from that hive. Was the new queen clipped? Are you sure they were queenless when you introduce the new queen? Were there any queen cells in there when you introduced her?. Not usual behaviour!
E

A bit more history might be in order. What was the state of the hive before you introduced the mated queen. Could there have been a hidden about to emerge QC or even a virgin queen in there?

It was a a double brood hive that I split old queen was removed from that location. I brought a new queen and put in there 13 days ago (couple of days after the split).
Haven't had a chance to look in their but knocked down 3 cells when I went to open the cage. Knowing my luck I probably missed one.
I'm 90% sure no bees left the hive no cloud disappearing into the distance. Apparently they all went back inside.
Will have a look in my lunch break today.
Queen was unclipped.

Last edited:
My betting is you missed a QC. I wouldn't be surprised that when you open up you'll find no sign of your new queen but a virgin or newly mated home grown one in her place.
Always a danger when you leave a hive queenless for more than a few minutes before introducing a new one.

Sounds like you missed one or they drew some more, was there anything young enough when you released her?
If I find emergency cells, I break them down and leave the queen in the cage before checking again in a few days. I released queens yesterday but one still has the tab in place as there were three emergency cells. Behaviour towards her was nice but I'll leave her until Thursday to make sure.

So I had a look today thank goodness I did! Found 3 cells two of which were then emerging. I guess they built them up after I'd put the new queen in as there was still young larvae present at that time. One of the emerging queen's was really small so got rid of her. But the other looked really good so I threw together a nuc for her.
Hopefully she doesn't get eaten by a bird or something on her mating flight fingers crossed.
The queen I introduced was also still in the hive. She was making lots of chirping noises never heard that before. Not a single egg either.

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_181344.jpg
    IMG_20200630_181344.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
So I had a look today thank goodness I did! Found 3 cells two of which were then emerging. I guess they built them up after I'd put the new queen in as there was still young larvae present at that time. One of the emerging queen's was really small so got rid of her. But the other looked really good so I threw together a nuc for her.
Hopefully she doesn't get eaten by a bird or something on her mating flight fingers crossed.
The queen I introduced was also still in the hive. She was making lots of chirping noises never heard that before. Not a single egg either.

Well, done Callum!

Heavens. How lucky she survived.
Now were the bees about to take off with her?

Heavens. How lucky she survived.
Now were the bees about to take off with her?

My guess is they tried: but the Queen did not go.

The bees will not have fed the Queen you introduced hoping she would slim down and fly with them - hence no eggs.
Now you have removed the QCs, hopefully she will be fed and start laying..

Been there, done that.. an easy mistake...

Back