Bees attacking smoker bellows

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have washed my smoker bellows with soda solution and let them dry naturally but to do it often might not be good for them. Now I use gaffer tape over them as it keeps them pretty clean and can be pulled off and thrown away. The plastic bag idea did not work for me because the bag worked loose and melted against the hot part of the smoker. It might be worth experimenting to find something strong smelling to cover the smell of stings. Perhaps something like lavender oil.

I had the same problem with the same kind of smoker literally hundreds of bee stinging the bellows for no obvious reason, which in turn caused the colony to go ballistic and had to shut them up and walk away
After this had happened once it continued, I tried cleaning the bellows with various products to no avail, in the end I wrapped them with duct tap which is still working to this day

Before I got rid of the nasty bees, mine used to attack the smoker. Must admit while they were killing themselves stinging the smoker it saved my hands from being in the front line!

Out of interest I bought one of these to try, made of crxp material but works well, easy to light and keep going.
I plan to take the fan assembly off when it falls to bits and put on one of the several smokers I have in need of a new bellows

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Bee-P...779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf8637a9b

Some of my bees must be related to Finman's bees or are just hard, when smokers resting some go into the spout/chimney?? Which would seem to be certain death however some make it out, how long they survive after?

Latest posts

Back