Bees and pollination for 9 - 10 yr olds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Now I am a fully fledged beekeeper for the school, they have asked me to talk about bees and pollenations to Yr 5, and maybe incorporate a visit to the hive. I intend to take a pollen guide, which should keep them interested, but does anyone have any ideas on what I should say, considering their age range.

The pollen baskets are interesting, if you can collect some photos with different coloured pollen it would be good. You could even have a little guessing game - flowers - what colour is the pollen - and some information such as a little pollen colour guide.

The roles in the hive are quite interesting and can be linked to the students experiences at home - opportunities for role play here. Two guard bees allowing in other bees but expelling the wasp?

If you have access to a whiteboard you could use this interactive labelling task I created http://www.quizpot.info/Hive_parts/index.html

You tube has some great videos about swarms and more - eg waggle dances.

Bee Craft games could possibly be photocopied

Tricia

Good luck

Thank you Tricia. Lots of info to work with there :)

I found on taking ob hives into schools that the main desire was to see the queen.

Anything else went clean over their heads.

PH

I understand heather on this forum does talks at schools if you perhaps pm her she will perhaps give you some good direction.

Good look I bet this time last year you would not have thought you will be giving a talk on bees to a class room of children.

My grandchildren absolutely loved the Paul metcalf video when they were aged 4 and 6 years - but I am sure many would not. However, with this age group remember they like to do, feel, touch. They might also like to put on a hat and veil, gloves. They like to squeeze and admire brace comb. Taste honey. Hold frames (even if empty), build the hive parts of a model or even an empty full sized version. Topics that may seem above their heads can be brought down to their level as long as you decide on the angle/sub topic. Colouring in an anotomically correct bee allows them to concentrate on the insect. If a USB microscope is available at the school (often found in Science departments) then putting some bee related bits as well as other things under the microscope is another approach. Even looking an hexagons (isometric paper is often available and dots can be joined to hexagons as well as triangles) or looking at shapes to see which ones will tessellate as well as hexagons can link well with other aspects of their curriculum.
Tricia

in my limited experience its the queen they want to see but also the questions that i have had from young and old are how do bees make honey and where does the wax come from. theres two ready for you!

Good look I bet this time last year you would not have thought you will be giving a talk on bees to a class room of children.

Phew, you've got that right! Lol, apparently I am the school bee expert. Oh no! Thats a lot to live up to haha, thank god for this forum is all I can say!

Thank you everyone. I am going to collect a few ideas across the age ranges as I will be doing different things with different classes at some point. I have a simple pollen guide, which should be interesting with this topic being pollination, but I may use the bristol beekeepers website as I like that guide better. Thanks again, you've given me lots to look through :)

Latest posts

Back