Bee Disease Recognition quiz

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The questions, pictures and answers for this quiz were taken from a quiz set for the 2010 BBKA spring convention Disease recognition workshop.

(so dont blame me if you get them wrong! :))

wooooo thats a tough quiz for my first year knowledge.......
60% though need to look at some better pictures of AFB and EFB i think!

thanks all these quiz's are great:hurray::hurray::hurray:

# Question 4: Q4. What condition is shown in this pic?

It seems to me more like stone brood caused by Aspergillus.

But the prime reason, I think, is more likely to be cooled brood.

Last edited:
# Question 4: Q4. What condition is shown in this pic?

It seems to me more like stone brood caused by Aspergillus.

But the prime reason, I think, is more likely to be cooled brood.

will PM you with the reason for the answer.

Tough - although have to admit two of my clicked answers obviously didn't "take" so scored 0 for them as didnt notice before moving on to next question.

admin - can we have bigger buttons next time?

Ooh, tough! Did better than I expected, but I think there was an element of luck in that. Must spend more time looking at all the nasty pictures in the books, and not just the nice ones of happy bees. bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie I'll go through it again tonight with the pics and my list of answers.

Thanks very much Mark and Mr B for setting that up.

Cor! That was tuff! Glad that i have not had any first hand experience of any of these but definitely need to review disease section of books to make sure I would actually recognise it in my hive. Only reassuring thing was I could tell the diseased ones - so at least I know when to run to book/forum/bee inspector for more info/advice.

Thanks Admin, MrB

The laying workers I put down as a drone laying queen. You can see brood/cappings in adjacent cells, which is normally symptomatic of a tidy queen laying in each cell (albeit drone) rather than workers which lay intermittently.

or am I wrong?

Adam

Is it possible to look back through the pictures again after you have taken the quiz and finished it?

Also, if more than one thing wrong - such as varroa damage and chalk brood, then can the buttons be made to pick up that the correct answer has been picked?

I too think drone laying queen not workers - would be good to have the reasoning!

Don't reckon one of the so called sac broods is sac either! In fact looks more like EFB to me, so that is a bit worrying.

Very interesting - thank you for setting it up - much easier in real life as you can look at things more closely and see what else is happening in the colony.

Good luck all!

Meg

Meg have a look in the "Albums" at the top of the forum.

Mark.

Thanks Mark.

Great to have quizzes on here - the more the merrier. Contact me next Christmas and I will send a load of photos if you like.

Meg

I too think drone laying queen not workers - would be good to have the reasoning!
Meg

I chose laying worker- my reasoning being that the laying was scattered, as I understand it a DLQ will keep a proper laying pattern.

Excellent Quiz, yes tough but it should be, Admin & Mr B thank you for setting it up

perhaps this should be a regular feature in Winter months , keep us all on our toes

most of us may have seen chalk, cold and bald brood but other diseases are only seen in text books by most of us

thanks

Did this the other day and got 60%, I was actually quite pleased with that. However taking the basic exam in the summer so best get reading if I want to pass that!

Edit: this is an excellent quiz by the way. Can we have any more please?

Last edited:
Hi Skyhook,

It was the sealed brood pattern that was scattered which doesn't necessarily reflect the original laying pattern. Workers will throw out brood if there is too much drone.

Also, worker abdomen's being short usually means that they lay around the edges where the cells are not as deep.

For these reasons I still think DLQ.

Meg

Tough - although have to admit two of my clicked answers obviously didn't "take" so scored 0 for them as didnt notice before moving on to next question.

admin - can we have bigger buttons next time?

How'd you mean? I went through and answered most but went back to one before finishing, all questions came up with a score. As they ran down the screen one picture/question at a time I didnt expect any issues with marking (just my answering) and didn't get any. Happy New Year, btw:.)

i beleived i'd clicked on everything but several questions came up in scoring as unanswered.

perhaps a warning before submitting along lines of "you have unanswered questions", do you wish to proceed or perhaps options to actively pass on questions rather than skip over.

Latest posts

Back