BBC 4 goes slow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontbee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than before
Hi,

Has anyone seen any of these programmes? So far, a 2 hour canal trip, (I didn't watch that one as the real thing was so tedious that after the first half hour, I walked the rest of the weekend trip - and outpaced the boat), plus several craft based projects, making things, (mainly) by hand, from scratch..

So far a glass jug, a knife and tonight a chair. Now these I did enjoy...despite being a bit "arty farty" for my taste. (You know the sort of thing - the craftsman opens a door just so that the camera person can frame a shot of the guy walking about!! A refreshing change from a lot of the stuff on offer.

PS No offence Tom! - living on a narrow boat would, I think, be a different matter...

Fond memories of narrow boat holidays. Took all of two days to adapt to the pace and resist the urge to get to 'B' as quickly as possible. "Where are you going for your holidays?"
"Stourbridge".

I've had that déjà vu before...

Is it on catch up?:icon_204-2:

Yes

Thanks Dishmop - just realised....too much wine - didn't see the giggles

PS the Dawn Chorus one was magical - not surprising as it was made in Devon :)

Last edited:
Handling hot soft glass that well deserves real respect. It is a fearfully uncooperative material. The sustained precision and decisiveness of the work is impressive.

Three things struck me as strange about the knife.
Little or nothing was made of the sharpening and production of the actual 'cutting edge'.
And less still about the selection of the steel that was the basis of the project.
And the twisting of the red-hot laminated bar was a bit odd. It is a technique from sword-making, to produce a sword that, in combat, would flex rather than shatter. It does produce the swirly patterns on etching though. For knives rather than swords though, careful lamination (giving a wavy, stripy pattern along the blade after etching) is the norm for a knife that will take a special edge an hold it. The twisting was maybe chosed for its televisual quality rather than the blade's quality ...

Dawn chorus? Probably the most special of these programmes.

How about one with a potter's wheel ... ?

They are great bees, better than my other hive which was a local swarm.
The bees don't have a problem with my carpentry, as much as my eyes do when they take a minute to look at what my hands have thrown together.

Handling hot soft glass that well deserves real respect. It is a fearfully uncooperative material. The sustained precision and decisiveness of the work is impressive.

Three things struck me as strange about the knife.
Little or nothing was made of the sharpening and production of the actual 'cutting edge'.
And less still about the selection of the steel that was the basis of the project.
And the twisting of the red-hot laminated bar was a bit odd. It is a technique from sword-making, to produce a sword that, in combat, would flex rather than shatter. It does produce the swirly patterns on etching though. For knives rather than swords though, careful lamination (giving a wavy, stripy pattern along the blade after etching) is the norm for a knife that will take a special edge an hold it. The twisting was maybe chosed for its televisual quality rather than the blade's quality ...

Dawn chorus? Probably the most special of these programmes.

How about one with a potter's wheel ... ?
Has this been on TV before or just bits of it?

Latest posts

Back