bamboo queen excluders?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been piddling around on ePay recently bidding for hessian sacks and came across the above in the beekeepers listings.

Surely they'll instantly warp inside a hot humid hive??

I've been piddling around on ePay recently bidding for hessian sacks

Why are you bidding on hessian sacks? is it for smoker fuel or do you have some other use for them

Yes, mainly for use as smoker fuel = also like to have a few lying around the garden for frost protection. They've now disappeared from all the street market greengrocers I used to get them from.

Yes, mainly for use as smoker fuel = also like to have a few lying around the garden for frost protection. They've now disappeared from all the street market greengrocers I used to get them from.

Try tea and coffee merchants if there are any near you Richard,the coffee beans come in hessian sacks,which they are usually only to happy to get rid of....when empty of course.

and pet shops, peanuts are still delivered in hessian

Hivemaker

I've finished up buying 24 really big hessian sacks from "Colombian Coffee Co Ltd UK" @ 60p / sack via ePay. I am so pleased with them as they are my preferred smoker fuel.

Tony

My local pet shops used to keep sacks for me but now all of their bird food comes in woven plastic.

I like them too.
Local coffee traders charge £1 sack so it's epay in future for me

I like them also,local tea/coffee merchant delivered a load of them to me for nothing/free,but i don't use them for smoker fuel,i prefer cedar shavings for that.

Hivemaker

Yes, a smoker load of fragrant wood shavings is a joy to work with but a roll of smouldering hessian is reliable

richard

I

Don't know about joy Richard,but the smokers are lit in the morning and remain alight seven days a week this time of year, often from daylight until dark,and cedar shavings seem very reliable...ie does not go out.
Reminds me...must go and stick some grass in the end.

Back to the bamboo excluders:
I've just spotted rthem and they look incredible ! Dont know how long they'd work but arent those ( presumably ) Chinese people clever, a qx frtom wood and bamboo !

mbc

-glad someone else has seen them! there is no way they'll maintain the spacing after a day in the hive!

rich

Hivemaker

Yes, I know alibaba after asking a '99p shop' exec where they bought their stuff.

- but of more more interest is that the only feedback on ePay for these is on the site of the only vendor selling them:>>>>

Q: hi ! interested in buying 10 of these panels please could you advise me of a good price please? many thanks 07-Jul-11

A: HI THERE, THANKS FOR YOUR GOOD INFROMATION. FOR TEN OF QUEEN EXCLUDER TOTAL IS £120.99 FOR BUT IT NOW PRICE. SO WE DECIDE TO GIVE YOU £6 DISCOUNT TO HELP YOU SAVE THE POSTAGE. SO FINALLY, YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY £114.99 FOR TEN. HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD TRANSACTION, THANKS INDEED.

That looks so genuine that it could almost have been scripted by a Nigerian Army Colonel....

Yes that is way to expensive Richard.....the plastic one's are only around £37 for ten.

I'm going to bid for one (<£5 in pp) just to test my cynicism......as I'm getting a bit obsessed!

Latest posts

Back