Avon 'Skin so Soft' Does it work???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I bought some last week so thought id give it a go.
Just came home from work and the sun is out and pretty warm so thought Id quickly check a nuc that's been struggling
Couldn't be bothered with the suit or lighting the smoker as I wanted to be in and out with in a few seconds. Put some of this stuff on my hands and bit on my face.
Now im sitting with a puffed up eye and cheek! and feeling I wish I had just put the suit on grrr!!!

I use it on my hands. It works.

I would never go veil-less.

I bought some last week so thought id give it a go.
Just came home from work and the sun is out and pretty warm so thought Id quickly check a nuc that's been struggling
Couldn't be bothered with the suit or lighting the smoker as I wanted to be in and out with in a few seconds. Put some of this stuff on my hands and bit on my face.
Now im sitting with a puffed up eye and cheek! and feeling I wish I had just put the suit on grrr!!!

I know it works for mozzies and horse flies but i don't think i would try it with bees.. lol

Yes, it helps on your hands but madasafish is right. Keep your head covered.
A bee might wander about over your fingers while you are inspecting deciding whether she should sting you but when she goes for your face she doesn't have a look for a suitable spot she just zaps you!

Now im sitting with a puffed up eye and cheek!

Photo? ;)

Some confusion here me thinks.

SSS reputedly works with midges but certainly don't for me but some swear it does.

Never heard of it in conjunction with bees nor would I try to work bees in this weather with no veil. Sorry but the pain here is self inflicted.

PH

SSS reputedly works with midges but certainly don't for me but some swear it does.

Never heard of it in conjunction with bees nor would I try to work bees in this weather with no veil. Sorry but the pain here is self inflicted.

PH

Our Association Chairman has used it successfully for years.

Must be the local bees! :paparazzi:

and good luck to him.. but...

Does it "work" for him because he is a very patient bee handler and moves very carefully. Or does it "really work" in that if a thousand rubbed it on would they too not be stung?

I know it does not work for me with Scottish miges so... I personally wouldn't try it.

1000 volunteers please?

PH

never tried it, never likely to either, probably some cleaver marketing by an Avon rep, I can just hear it now "ding dong"

PH

PH I said the weather was warm and sunny (please read properly!!)
Very self inflicted so I don't need the obvious stated thanks :rolleyes:

Whats your confusion?

Yes, it helps on your hands but madasafish is right. Keep your head covered.
A bee might wander about over your fingers while you are inspecting deciding whether she should sting you but when she goes for your face she doesn't have a look for a suitable spot she just zaps you!Photo? ;)

Erica, was it you who recommended Olbas Oil?

No not me but my first mentor used clove oil to great effect.
I think you could probably attribute most protection to being gentle with your movements.

I used to use Olbas Oil. Avon SSS is better in my view - and it helps my complexion (not that it needs any help says he hurridly):icon_204-2:

Not a lot that detours the bees once you've angered them. Their going to look for a place to sting and if they can't find one then they'll move on.

and good luck to him.. but...

Does it "work" for him because he is a very patient bee handler and moves very carefully. Or does it "really work" in that if a thousand rubbed it on would they too not be stung?

I know it does not work for me with Scottish miges so... I personally wouldn't try it.

1000 volunteers please?

PH

you paying for the stuff?

It does work with mossies and midges, ask almost any squaddie! Here's an example >> http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/avon-calling-mossie-repellant.60569/

It works with honey bees too.
A 70 odd year old Major General put me onto that stuff around 10yr's ago as it apparently worked for the soldiers back then, it also worked for me and my lady friend when we where doing a lot of work on 3 big ponds, we where getting hammered from mozies one spray around my/her head and the mozzies where no more.

I have used peppermint oil on a piece of tissue in the bag I keep my gloves in. The bees tend to leave my gloved hands alone because of the smell.

Latest posts

Back