Attendant bees with queen or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel more confident when the attendants are removed but I've done both (with & without attendants) and so far from my limited experience they both work.

Sorry to hear about the squished queen :(

Ta iveseenthings, got another coming tomorrow, and got a plastic bag ready!! If it feels as though there is going to be any difficulty in removing the attendants I'll leave them in, and hope for the best.

I always remove attendant workers and put the queen into a jzbz cage in the passenger seat of the car. If the queen escapes in the process she invariably flies on to a window where she's easily caught .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I now always leave the attendants in, & have never had a problem, the queen has always been ok.

To my mind it is less of a risk to do this than to try and remove the workers, lose/squish the queen/get stung/etcetc.

I did once let them all out into a bag and marked the attendants with a queen marking pen: one week later, they were all there bar one.

I love the way books tell you to "remove the attendants before introduction" but never tell you what you should do with them.

Sorry to hear about your queen btw.

Latest posts

Back