Asian Hornet trap bycatch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I guess a few on here have AH traps out; I'd be interested in reports of bycatch of the different traps. As one of my apiaries is a sentinel apiary (NBU analyse floor samples twice a year for Tropilealaps, small hive beetle, and Varroa (!)) my SBI asked if i would put up an AH trap, even though I am not in a priority area. They supplied, on loan, an Andermatt trap and the bait solution. It has been up since the 21 May, and it is in view of my study is I can keep an eye on it. In previous years I have felt lucky to spot a couple of European hornets a year, but this year I have released 17 from the trap (I do not know if these are return visits or 17 different ones). There is a 'mulch' of dead flies on the platform, and I have also released a couple of bumbles, a few wasps and a honey bee - although these can get out of their own volition - the European Hornets can't. There have been no EHs for a week, so I assume their life cycle is similar to AH's, and that the queens are now nest building, so not coming to traps now. Oh, and no AH trapped!

Attachments

• IMG_20240613_080529484_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240613_080529484_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240613_080618840_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240613_080618840_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I have a Gard Apis trap out, which so far has trapped nothing. Anything that’s gone in has come out - as intended to avoid bycatch.

I guess a few on here have AH traps out; I'd be interested in reports of bycatch of the different traps. As one of my apiaries is a sentinel apiary (NBU analyse floor samples twice a year for Tropilealaps, small hive beetle, and Varroa (!)) my SBI asked if i would put up an AH trap, even though I am not in a priority area. They supplied, on loan, an Andermatt trap and the bait solution. It has been up since the 21 May, and it is in view of my study is I can keep an eye on it. In previous years I have felt lucky to spot a couple of European hornets a year, but this year I have released 17 from the trap (I do not know if these are return visits or 17 different ones). There is a 'mulch' of dead flies on the platform, and I have also released a couple of bumbles, a few wasps and a honey bee - although these can get out of their own volition - the European Hornets can't. There have been no EHs for a week, so I assume their life cycle is similar to AH's, and that the queens are now nest building, so not coming to traps now. Oh, and no AH trapped!
So I’ve had the GardApis traps out in multiple locations - bycatch has been the odd fly, at the home trap I’ve had many many queen wasps which I’ve despatched and I don’t want loads of wasps around my orchard and stored equipment. At the yard it was filled daily with bumblebees of all colours shapes and sizes so we decided to take the end off and leave it for the time being .
No hornets of any shape size or colour have been captured

Yes!!!! In which case the traps are not just indiscriminate but useless. Maybe they even let Velutina in and then out.
Depending on design they may be able to get in but not find the exit, I wonder if the issue is aperture sized for VV queen rather than workers.

So I’ve had the GardApis traps out in multiple locations - bycatch has been the odd fly, at the home trap I’ve had many many queen wasps which I’ve despatched and I don’t want loads of wasps around my orchard and stored equipment. At the yard it was filled daily with bumblebees of all colours shapes and sizes so we decided to take the end off and leave it for the time being .
No hornets of any shape size or colour have been captured
Nothing like being ecologically irresponsible.

Oh and your answer is to just let the AH take over and kill everything and turn a bind eye a la Chris Packham ??

Our estate here was inundated last year with wasps (I don't keep bees in my garden before you ask) and a number of young children were badly stung at various points during the year.

If I can assist in culling wasps then I'm all for it. It's not as if they are endangered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and your answer is to just let the AH take over and kill everything and turn a bind eye a la Chris Packham ??
Perhaps I might suggest that you read my contributions on the control of velutina. That way you might understand why preserving native vespine species is critical in the fight against velutina.

Decimating wasp populations by culling queens is ecologically irresponsible for other reasons not least because wasps represent the most effective natural answer to the control of insect pests. By all means resort to using pesticides in your orchard as an alternative but don't expect plaudits for doing so.

Our estate here was inundated last year with wasps (I don't keep bees in my garden before you ask) and a number of young children were badly stung at various points during the year.

Poor integrated wasp management predicated on old fashioned ill informed wasp control.

If I can assist in culling wasps then I'm all for it. It's not as if they are endangered.

The current weather is killing off queen wasps locally without any help from me. Found two dead in a week: unheard of this time of year.

Using a homemade NBU type plastic bottle trap and VespaCatch lure. Caught absolutely nothing.
Bottle cap has 8mm hole so bumbles can't get in. 5.5mm holes around top so honey bees can get out. (?)
Tried an open bait. Had no interest.
Barely seen a wasp this year.

The fact that native wasps and european hornets are one of our best defences against asian hornets seems to be escaping someone...
How are they a defence? Native wasps will be consumed by AHs, and the EHs will stay out of their way. Can't see any native insects are in a position to even slightly bother an AH.

Latest posts

Back