Ashforth feeder and yacht varnish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsteve

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there, I have an ashforth feeder which I got with a second hand hive a bought. I decided to leak check it and it wasn't bad but it did leak a little after a while so I decided to coat the inside with 3 coats of yacht varnish hoping this would seal any gaps.
I haven't leak checked it yet but have since wondered if the yacht varnish will be OK for the bees?
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.
Steve.

Mrsteve, I have had the same problem with regard water-proofing, I have gone the fibreglass resin route, 5 years on and mine are still going strong. My assumption has been that properly cured and cleaned it should be OK for the bees. In terms of food packaging I know that plasticiser migration is most prevalent with fatty rather than starchy foods. With that in mind I 'painted' veg oil on (after the resin had fully cured), left it a week and then washed it off before use. My assumption being that if migration was going to happen then that would take most of the threat away. Not noted any adverse health issues on bees fed with them. GL

I didn't think about fibreglass resin, that was probably a better idea than yacht varnish.
Anyway I will leak test it and see what happens.

You are right, but I have an ashforth feeder so thought I might as well use it, and I have spent enough already on bees and equipment for this year!

I wouldn't go that far, Millet, but I agree with your drift.

Two niggles: the paint that Lyson use internally is a useless sort of emulsion which goes mouldy after one use. I've a few cedar feeders painted with gloss which have never had that problem. Secondly, the ventilated stainless steel cover is a curious choice: my bees propolise every slot plus the sliding access panel - which should send a hint to Abelo - and the screws holding it in place rust.

Apart from that, it's very good.

Latest posts

Back