Apilife Var placement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHLD

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I have four hives/Nucs which have only 2 to 6 frames of brood (for reasons I will not explain here). I anticipate joining them together to make 2 hives later in the year. Two have a second box on top to help them make stores and one has it's brood in the top box. Should I reduce them all to one box when I put Apilife Var in place and if not where should I put it? Do you think the full versus half dosage depends on the size of the box or the number of bees ... I presume the former?

I have four hives/Nucs which have only 2 to 6 frames of brood (for reasons I will not explain here). I anticipate joining them together to make 2 hives later in the year. Two have a second box on top to help them make stores and one has it's brood in the top box. Should I reduce them all to one box when I put Apilife Var in place and if not where should I put it? Do you think the full versus half dosage depends on the size of the box or the number of bees ... I presume the former?

As described, it sounds like you have WAAY too much space around these colonies. A "second box on top to help them make stores" will have the opposite effect as they have to heat it. Sorry if my mental image is off (correct me). eg does the one with 6 frames of brood also have five of stores? Then another box might be indicated. But never with two. Get them in the right space then follow the directions. If on double brood (ie the boxes are FULL) I cheerfully double the dose with good effect.

So in answer to your question, the dose is according to SPACE but that SHOULD be the same as doing it by bees (all stores have to be off).

Thank you. I have followed your advice

Latest posts

Back