Apiguard tainted supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys,

What should I do with Super frames full of sealed honey that may be tainted with Apiguard after an emergency spring treatment?

Was thinking of removing then freezing whole frames and giving back to the bees at the end of summer.

But will the honey granulate on the comb and become difficult for the bees to access?

Alternatively i could extract the honey then feed it back to the bees later.

Thanks very much.
X

how many frames are you talking about?? you have 3 hives, unless you have more than 3 supers full of honey to me the answer would be leave them on top of your brood and let the bees deal with, If you are worried about them getting mixed with good stuff then maybe mark the top of the frame with posca pen? but maybe Iam wrong??

Yes just three supers. I was worried the bees might move it around and put it in the other supers if I left it in the hive.

my advice would be to extract, then feed back to bees in the autumn, put frames back on hives for bees to clean, then refilled with fresh honey by the bees. Simples!

If its sealed honey you don't need to freeze it. The reason why bees reduce the water content so it doesn't ferment, and then cap it, is precisely so it will keep. They will deal with it if it granulates too.

Latest posts

Back