Apiguard and Uniting colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Folie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Forgive a newbee-type question but can I successfully unite in the middle of Apiguard treatment or will the Apiguard overpower the queen pheromones? The year is getting on and we have been trying to 'save' the weaker colony but it is time to bit the bullet and unite.

Yes, the year is getting on but uniting can wait until after treatment (unless it is wasp attack?).

Just as long as the bees are not clustering, there is no problem with uniting. Probably done it in November before now.

So, half way through a varroa treatment is not the time to unite and there is plenty of time. This is not Finland. I don't know what people are thinking about the British weather/climate; or not thinking, as the case may be.

There seems to be some magical fixed dates being used for a beekeeping timetable without any thought as to the real world. Bees are not going to go into the winter cluster in mid-September or even the end of September.

As per o2o - plenty of time left this season.

for me what'd be most important is that no passing gamekeepers decided to kick over the double boxes during the unite!!!!!

As per o2o - plenty of time left this season.

for me what'd be most important is that no passing gamekeepers decided to kick over the double boxes during the unite!!!!!

Norfolknchance of that where you are !! Sorry .. couldn't resist adding more pollution to this very sensible and helpful thread.

RAB is on the money again ... too many people just follow the book of bee rules without thinking about or actually looking at what their bees are doing. Mine are nowhere near winterising yet ... still bringing in buckets of food and there was over five frames of capped brood in there at the last inspection. Not much less than there was in July ... No drones/drone cells though so they are obviously no longer thinking of matings ...

Latest posts

Back