Anyone know what's happening please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherry111

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello all,
I just went to check my four hives and one has white larvae outside on the landing board. It's the only hive where this has happened. Does anyone know why please? Do I need to take any immediate action? image.jpg thank you

Hello all,
I just went to check my four hives and one has white larvae outside on the landing board. It's the only hive where this has happened. Does anyone know why please? Do I need to take any immediate action? View attachment 12516 thank you

I suspect that your hive has been raided by wasps. Try using a tunnel type entrance.

What else has happened with this hive recently?
Have you hefted it/lifted lid to check stores?

Not unusual at this time of the year ... chilled brood - probably laid up nearer the bottom of the frame or at the extremity of the brood nest and with the sudden cold snap we have had in the last few days the bees will have sacrificed any odd larvae that could not be kept up to temperature. Then cleared the bodies out ... you may also see a few dead bees on the landing board as well as the summer bees die off - it's been a late finish to the season and with the sudden onset of colder weather the bees may well die in the hive and will be cleared out by the undertakers. You are in Paynes Polys the same as I run and the warmer climate they provide for the bees means that they tend to use more of the brood box than in less insulated hives so occurrences like this are more common.

Unless you have any other signs of colony distress or disease I wouldn't worry too much. Don't like to contradict Karol but I don't think it's wasps.

Thank you everyone. I found it most unsettling. I think Pargyle, you might be right (I'm hoping!) My hives are well fed. They are deep and also have a super plus fondant for insurance. I have noticed the odd dead wasp by one or other hive periodically and today there is one dead wasp outside this particular hive. They all have dead bees outside although I think that's normal. I've just checked them and they seem to be going about their business as normal so fingers crossed!

Happy to be contradicted. Better bee culled brood than predation by wasps. But the dead wasps, dead bees and maxillated grubs are potential signs of wasp predation and consistent with late maturing wasp nests. Hope Pargyle is right.

Not easy to see from the photograph, but it looks like there are also a couple or three varroa mites on the alighting board.

The round bits are tops of cappings and the corpses look like drone pupae. Not due to wasps in my opinion despite dead wasp in foreground. I think Pargyle (even with his limited beekeeping experience) has got it right. The recent onset of very cold weather has caused bees to go into cluster and brood ( probably drone but need better photo to be sure) isolated on outer parts of comb has died so cappings removed and dead pupae been thrown out. Alternatively the colony has decided to not support drone brood in response to change in conditions and removed live brood out of the cells and dumped them outside entrance. If drone brood at this time of year then this might spell problems but not necessarily.

Last edited:
I agree with pargyle, bees have been laying later into this year and there are bound to be losses on cold nights. You have some good cleaners in there! They can do my lounge when they have finished!
E

The round bits are tops of cappings and the corpses look like drone pupae. Not due to wasps in my opinion despite dead wasp in foreground. I think Pargyle (even with his limited beekeeping experience) has got it right. The recent onset of very cold weather has caused bees to go into cluster and brood ( probably drone but need better photo to be sure) isolated on outer parts of comb has died so cappings removed and dead pupae been thrown out. Alternatively the colony has decided to not support drone brood in response to change in conditions and removed live brood out of the cells and dumped them outside entrance. If drone brood at this time of year then this might spell problems but not necessarily.

Bees don't chew their grubs as far as I'm aware. May be that marauding wasps have opportunistically had a go at the ejected grubs but it is also possible that the hive was raided.

Ill check, but would like to think they are fairly varroa free. Certainly were a couple of months ago and also used MAQS to keep them clear. There were cappings this morning and I wondered whether they might be drone pupa. I will feel a lot better if that's the case. I've added some fondant as they are lighter than the other hives and maybe put out a wasp trap or two. Hopefully, I will cover all eventualities!

Ill check, but would like to think they are fairly varroa free. Certainly were a couple of months ago and also used MAQS to keep them clear. There were cappings this morning and I wondered whether they might be drone pupa. I will feel a lot better if that's the case. I've added some fondant as they are lighter than the other hives and maybe put out a wasp trap or two. Hopefully, I will cover all eventualities!

If it is wasps coming for grubs then your traps probably won't help.

The round bits are tops of cappings and the corpses look like drone pupae. Not due to wasps in my opinion despite dead wasp in foreground. I think Pargyle (even with his limited beekeeping experience) has got it right.

I'll take that as a compliment then ?

Good morning all! This is a new photo taken today. Icouldn't see any sign of varroa. image.jpg

Latest posts

Back