Anyone got an egg incubator I could borrow?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I'm hoping to get my son some hatching eggs and an ark for his birthday on 12th March and wondered if anyone within striking distance might have a poultry egg incubator that I could borrow?

Anything that's not 'screen related'!

Happy to pay a small rental fee in cash or honey 😁

Please email hello@------------------ if you can help

Thanks

Cris

have an ask at your local primary schools they may have one you could borrow.

I'm hoping to get my son some hatching eggs and an ark for his birthday on 12th March and wondered if anyone within striking distance might have a poultry egg incubator that I could borrow?

Anything that's not 'screen related'!

Happy to pay a small rental fee in cash or honey 😁

Please email hello@------------------ if you can help

Thanks

Cris

My son is deeply interested in chickens, bantams and Cayuga ducks. He has hatched many clutches either of "bought in fertile eggs" from ebay or from his own separate bloodline flocks. The most successful incubator he uses has full temperature and humidity control and electrically driven egg movement. Success rates are heavily affected by shaking and bumping in the post with some zero hatchings although he did have six Seabright eggs that produced six chicks from six eggs, one cockerel (Steven) and five hens to boot! :)
He started two unrelated lines of Bresse Gauloise and they feed us as either eggs or table birds. One line produced Ronnie and Reggie, the other Charlie. Charlie and Reggie grew vicious but Ronnie is good natured. You know which ones have been eaten and which now leads his Ronnettes around the pens :)
A common mistake is to get chickens in a garden which is unsuitable as the destruction a few chickens can cause to beloved, carefully nurtured plants is incredible.

The most successful incubator he uses has full temperature and humidity control Success rates are heavily affected by shaking and bumping in the post with some zero hatchings although he did have six Seabright eggs that produced six chicks from six eggs, one cockerel and five hens to boot! :)

A common mistake is to get chickens in a garden which is unsuitable as the destruction a few chickens can cause to beloved, carefully nurtured plants is incredible.

My most successful incubator is a broody hen. Never bothered with artificial hens.
I would agree with the postal shake up of hatching eggs. My hatchings range from six out of six (FIVE cockerels, though) to two out of six.

I would second the destruction. My hens have a fenced off 20x20metre woodland but they get to mooch round the garden in the winter.

Thanks for the advice above.

Thankfully, we've a fair bit of space to play with and the fertile eggs are being collected from a nearby town, so I'm hoping that any postage problems can be avoided!

My most successful incubator is a broody hen. Never bothered with artificial hens.
I would agree with the postal shake up of hatching eggs. My hatchings range from six out of six (FIVE cockerels, though) to two out of six.

I would second the destruction. My hens have a fenced off 20x20metre woodland but they get to mooch round the garden in the winter.

Try putting double this amount under a broody hen ;) , i have hatched thousands over the years to feed me my Goshawk and the ferrets, but i 100% agree with you on the broody hen if you are hatching chook eggs wyandotte X Silky take some beating once they go broody the only thing that will stop them is a stretched neck, i know a lad who has hatched Peregrine Falcon egg's under them which is unnatural as it takes around 21 days for a chicken egg to hatch but around 35 days for a Falcon.

IMG_1440_zps61ulipc7.jpg

It might sound like a dumb question, but can you buy broody hens (silkys etc)?

It might sound like a dumb question, but can you buy broody hens (silkys etc)?

You can buy anything if the price is right. You might be a little early in the year for local sourcing. Try asking at a local farmers market :)
When I was young it was common to lend broody hens to neighbours. They were just a cost until they came back into lay.

Last edited:
wyandotte X Silky take some beating once they go broody the only thing that will stop them is a stretched neck

Don't be mean, Millet.
I have 2 Sumatras and a Wyandotte that go broody. You let them sit for a week, taking the eggs away daily then pop them in a sin bin cage and they snap out of it in 48hrs.

silkys, if there anything like I had , put gloves on yank her off the nest and be quick about it they can be very defensive of there eggs

Don't be mean, Millet.
I have 2 Sumatras and a Wyandotte that go broody. You let them sit for a week, taking the eggs away daily then pop them in a sin bin cage and they snap out of it in 48hrs.
I would never neck a broody Erica,that comment about necking was tongue and cheek type of thing, but they sure do your head in. this warren x even tried too hatch a baby otter in the outside toilet..:spy:

toilettraining002.jpg

Last edited:
You can buy day old chicks
Some breeds can be sexed
I have hatched with incubator and broody hens
You can get mostly cockerels and that means they have to be dealt with
Not a nice task

Sent from my S208 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back