Any advice on these hives please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last winter was long and the woodies got very hungry for Chris B's Poly Langstroths. They had a bit of a field day and caused a lot of damage in several apiaries.

It's rumoured that he's installing flak batteries this winter - or maybe he said flat batteries? :) oh well . . . tap tap, tap tap, bszzzzzzz!

dont mean to take this off subject but does anyone know if woodies do this as a learnt behavious? ie once done its a repeat issue each year. We have woodies on many sites but have never had an issue - touch wood(ie).

ta

JD

does anyone know if woodies do this as a learnt behavious?

Yes, once in the habit ... beware. Weather dependant to a degree, or really, food availability.

RAB

does anyone know if woodies do this as a learnt behavious? ie once done its a repeat issue each year.

What is established in surveys is that green woodpeckers have increased in numbers over the past 50 years: http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2010/wcrgrewo.shtml We see them in London suburban gardens and allotments far more frequently than we used to.

Like any birds in a mixed habitat they learn the location and type of food sources. You can see them feeding in close proximity along woodland edges and we know they live up to 15 years. It's reasonable to assume once the local population know of a food source in an area, it will be revisited over the years.

Relevant to the original topic, are poly hives easier or harder to cage than wooden ones? First thoughts would be that screws or staples into the poly are not going to hold. You might need a wooden frame over the poly. Anybody tried it?

I have just ordered two Nationals from caddon Hives, Gabled roofs and deep brood. Will let you know how they look.

How do you put supers on gabled upside down roofs when doing inspections? Aren't flat roofs much easier?

caddon hives

[They seem to be very reasonably priced hives as I am looking to change to 14x12's next spring and shook swarm early on? I was wondering if anyone has experience of this company and what the quality might be like?
In anticipation :)

Rich[/quote]
Hi. I have just taken delivery of two Nationals from caddon-hives.
I must say they are of exceptional value for money, excellent quality, and very friendly guys.

:nature-smiley-005:
How do you put supers on gabled upside down roofs when doing inspections? Aren't flat roofs much easier?

yes flat roofs are easier but two strategically placed bricks act as a cradle to hold the gable roof level. ( ie the ones you tried to put on top of the roof but slid off :rolleyes:

Wood pecker learnt behaviour....and they teach their offspring so once you have had a hive attacked it can go on for years....protection on by the first frost, but this year due to hard ground they attacked one hive in October.....they are a protected species

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back