Ant Stop Bait Station

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Has anyone had experience in using these around beehives. We have generally put these down around are backyard before having bees to manage the massive amount of ants we have. Don't think the bees could get to the bait due to the size of the holes.

:facts:

Oddly I have ants in one hive this year and wondered what to do about them. Weak hive though!
E

I have seem "Diatomaceous earth" used, ants won't cross it. The only worry I have with that is our weather washing it away every few days :)

Also you could paint your legs with "Never Wet", I don't think ants will be able to climb it, or slugs for that matter.

If you don't want to use chemicals wrap copper strips around the hive stand legs,for some reason insects don't seem to like crossing over copper.

If you don't want to use chemicals wrap copper strips around the hive stand legs,for some reason insects don't seem to like crossing over copper.

Thought that was molluscs?

I regularly have issues with ants in a number of my hives. Nippon do a kit. 2 small bait stations (refillable) and a tube of liquid killer. The holes in the sides of the bait station are far too small for bees to gain access. A small blob of killer lasts about a week and 2 treatments generally sees off a nest. The liquid killer is sold seperately as well. Any decent garden centre should stock them.

Im just going to buy the bait stations then. They are cheap enough and ill throw one under the hive.

Thanks

not worthy

And the Ants.. i'm sure bees will be fine or it would not be allowed in a Orchard, k..:spy:

That may be optimistic.

One non toxic trick you can use is cinnamon powder. It doesn't kill the ants but it seems to break up their scent trails. Scatter under hives in trouble.

Ants cross the copper tape on my hives' legs as if it is not there, but it does stop slugs.

That may be optimistic.

One non toxic trick you can use is cinnamon powder. It doesn't kill the ants but it seems to break up their scent trails. Scatter under hives in trouble.

Ants cross the copper tape on my hives' legs as if it is not there, but it does stop slugs.

I have read somewhere that apple cider vinegar also masks there scent trails.

Back