another use for vaseline...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drstitson

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
anyone aware of using vaseline to combat varroa?

ttp://www.culturaapicola.com.ar/apuntes/sanidad/vaselina.PDF

string/cord soaked in mix of vaseline, water, wax and honey placed on top bars.

apparently blocks the spiracles of the mites.

The following translation will hopefully help this debate. Looks interesting ...

VASELINE: "THE" SOLUTION AGAINST VARROA? In the PUBLICATION NOTES OF BEES IN CASTILIAN (see note on the subject) in which
beekeepers exchange information through Internet e-mail. This note was published last year - a new method of varroa control through use of Vaseline.

The proponent is a Spanish veterinarian, Dr. Pedro Rodriguez, the son and grandson of beekeepers who, after long research and tests, found that providing a oily substance such as Vaseline in the hive caused the mites to drop off and die of asphyxia because their breathing holes were plugged.

As the mineral is absolutely safe for both humans and for bees, we have a product that can be applied throughout the season, including the harvest season, thus solving one of the problems which is the wild thorny mite development during the summer. (see "ARE WE CURING EVIL? - Fact Sheet Year Los Alamos 2000). Completing his contribution, Dr. Rodriguez has developed two methods of application of the product to colonies: Strings and spraying.

The latter (spraying) is applied to the hives as a cloud of gasified petroleum jelly, which can only be achieved with special applicators relying on heated gas from a cylinder (see editors note below, but that is a bit garbled), since most manual applicators achieve droplet spraying only this is regarded as insufficient because it can harm the bees. The Beekeeper Santa Fe dr. Hugo sprays applied AGUIRRE manually, but not directly on the bees but on the combs and interior parts of the hive (Rosti note: article does not say how he achieves this in an active hive).

The first method is more suited for hobby apiarists,

PREPARATION OF STRINGS. The method of application by means of strings is my view that best perspectives offered by both its practical application and for acting long term. Just try it en masse in the autumn to our help apiaries, leaving hives treated with flumetrina witness, I believe that the spring we will be able to evaluate this experience. Start getting the textile industry to provide the wick, it is called 8 cotton thread twisted. It comes in rolls that are almost 200 meters per kg. These are cut into 1-meter and 20 are grouped together by tying with string into 3 parts, for better handling.

Let's take as an example 10 of these bundles (200 cords), a 20-liter tin plate and the following ingredients:
3 litres of mineral oil 180 (the most common in the market for human use)
1.5 liters of water
1.5 kg of honey
1.5 kg of beeswax.
Put the can over the heat with water and wax. Once the vaseline is melted add honey and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat add the wicks, which will absorb the entire liquid, and let cool. In the same container we store and bring the cords to the field.

APPLICATION METHOD Once in the field and handed untied from their groups you will have a little bundle of 20 strings on the side of many hives. Each coiled cord should be placed on the heads of the brood chamber, where the bees will seek to crumble while smearing themselves with the mixture. For nucleus and weak brood chambers placed only half a cord. According to Dr. Rodriguez, during a season the cord lasts about a month before decaying, but in times of lower activity lasts much longer. As they are destroyed they must be replaced by a new cord.

Editor's Note
Besides this, it sprayed the hive with Vaseline, applied with a propane gas gasifier. As often as you change the cords. The propane gasifier is the same that is used to fumigate Colmesan, only
the bottle should be loaded with propane gas, the tubes contain 45 Kg

Rosti Note:
1. The method does not make it clear if there is a cord added to the top of each brood frame or one cord per brood chamber. I could not make head nor tail of that bit (nor could my translator)
2. The document does not contain any information of mite drop / numbers before/after treatment. It implies that last years data is still being analysed.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like mineral oil fogging which was (and still might be) popular in the US. I'll stick with things like thymol and OA plus shook swarms and a bit of formic from time to time.

Sounds a bit like mineral oil fogging which was (and still might be) popular in the US. I'll stick with things like thymol and OA plus shook swarms and a bit of formic from time to time.

Rooftops, there appears to be two distinct application methods here. the cords may be complimentary to other methods?

North devon BKA tried this for a couple of years,both fogging and the cords...not very successful.
Not used much in any place now...take a look at beesource.

Last edited:
I thought that, if people want to grease their bees up, grease patties was the normal method- and sounds simpler than a gas-powered applicator!

Latest posts

Back