Another aspiring bee keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukenuc'em

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been reading the BBKA guide, almost done now. Few more books on the way, Ted Hooper & Ron Brown. Been watching a lot of YouTube, listening to podcasts and I have been to an experience day which has only enthused me more. I am aware of all the basics now and so I will be looking for more hands on experience before getting my own bees.

I have joined my local association but it seems they only offer theory over winter, practical seem to start again spring next year, this is a shame as it may delay me starting my journey, I am considering a 1 day practical course over in Dartmoor in September this year, that would give me a days worth of hands on experience before taking the plunge.

From much research, I have identified many parcels of land that may be suitable for bees, I have the map search feature for the land registry combined with google satellite images, I have a list of emails I can contact and doors to knock on for an out apiary, which I'm sure with enough patient will land me a location to keep them. I will need to get somewhere agreed before December really if I want to start in the Spring as a lot of the overwintered nucs are sold out before the end of December!

Sorry to ramble, this is where I am on my journey so far!

Be patient - the Association courses run through winter and culminate, usually, when the season starts in the Spring. Associations will often help you with bees to start your beekeeping journey and some practical help from a mentor. There is not much practical beekeeping between the end of the season and the start of the new one - first inspections are rarely much before late March/April - hence the theory over winter and then the practical in Spring.

Beekeeping looks easy and it is ... until you get your own bees ! Then the fun starts as the bees tend not to read the same books as you do .. it's a constant learning journey and even those of us with a few years under our belt often find new ideas, better ways of doing things or just a different perspective as we go on. Try not to get any fixed ideas before you start - get some hands on experience of different hive formats and see what suits you.

Don't invest too heavily in kit - it's an expensive hobby and unless you have deep pockets you need to purchase wisely and in things that are going to work for you. Any crop of honey in the early years inevitably (and at best) will only cover your costs !

A good book for your first couple of years is the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping - it takes you step by step through the season and is a really good 'beekeeping by numbers' guide for the early years. Hooper is the standard tome but it's getting a bit out of date these days and it's not a very friendly read - more a reference book to dip into when you have been keeping bees for a while.

If there is one bit of advice I would offer - Don't try and run before you can walk. Aim to have a couple of hives in your first season and get them through your first winter - try and get an apiary where you can be there regularly - the more you observe the bees the more you will learn and the better beekeeper you will become.

Good luck on your journey - there is always someone around on here to help when it all goes pear-shaped (and it will !) or just for those questions that arise from your reading.

Last edited:
ill need to get somewhere agreed before December really if I want to start in the Spring as a lot of the overwintered nucs are sold out before the end of December!
But they won't be delivered/ available for collection until after winter so you don't actually need a site sorted before December so the pressure is off. Also, remember that emails are easier to ignore than a cheerful face at the door, much as I hate cold callers this is the way things are.

Love your enthusiasm and desire to educate yourself. As said it is better to be patient and get some hands on experience before buying anything- there is a lot of different bits of kit out there and you might be unsure of which suits you best until you have handled some. A 1 day course is better than nothing, but will barely touch the sides. Probably a good few quid too.
Why not ask your association secretary to put you in touch with an experienced member, who you can help get their bees ready for winter?
Association theory followed by practical are usually well worth the money ( will be much cheaper than any commercial lot) . You will also get to know a lot of people just starting out like you and can support each other.

I have been reading the BBKA guide, almost done now. Few more books on the way, Ted Hooper & Ron Brown. Been watching a lot of YouTube, listening to podcasts and I have been to an experience day which has only enthused me more. I am aware of all the basics now
One bit of advice I'd give regarding reading matter is to invest in an annual subscription to one of the better general bee journals, in the UK that probably means the Beekeepers Quarterly although there are a couple of good ones from the US too. Some forum members will dismiss this idea (especially the thought of reading anything from the US) but the benefit is not so much as a hands on reading guide but rather as a trickle feed of general bee information and news through your letterbox on a regular basis (better than the usually cheaper electronic options that the magazines now offer). Especially through the long winter months it can really help a beginner to keep focused.

Latest posts

Back