And today's daft mistake is...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeWade

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hatch a really nice virgin in the incubator. Went to put her in mating nuc. But left cage door open. I can confirm her wings were I good working order as she flew away :S

Did you wait to see if she returned? You would be a major landmark.

Yeah waited but she was off like a shot wasn't just a little wing stretch. Lesson learned though

Just came in from the garden apairy. Was opening the tab on a new queen cage which was in a made up NUC. Didn't have my knife so popped to the shed with her and the cage in my beesuit pocket. Dropped cage, the back comes off but I dont see it. Marching back i see the crash...big blue spot on big queen..."I'll catch her!".....Just going to cup her and ...off she goes into the ether....

Unlike Mike's brand new VQ, i know I have a good chance, so remain bolted. Sure enough she starts to circle me, around and around (King Kong?) and I feel quite privileged to be her only land mark. I can see she is attracted to her previous mobile home, the dismantled yellow cage, so after 5 minutes of hoping she'll land on the grass I leg it back and grab the NUC she was in and place it on top of the cage location. She immediately offers her gratitude by landing on top of one of the frames and calmly walks, slips into a frame space crevasse and is safely home.

I only hope her small colony also embrace the serenity of the moment and don't ball her now she is without a cage, the planned fondant-chewing introduction now skipped.

Bloody fascinating hobby this.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just came in from the garden apairy. Was opening the tab on a new queen cage which was in a made up NUC. Didn't have my knife so popped to the shed with her and the cage in my beesuit pocket. Dropped cage, the back comes off but I dont see it. Marching back i see the crash...big blue spot on big queen..."I'll catch her!".....Just going to cup her and ...off she goes into the ether....

Unlike Mike's brand new VQ, i know I have a good chance, so remain bolted. Sure enough she starts to circle me, around and around (King Kong?) and I feel quite privileged to be her only land mark. I can see she is attracted to her previous mobile home, the dismantled yellow cage, so after 5 minutes of hoping she'll land on the grass I leg it back and grab the NUC she was in and place it on top of the cage location. She immediately offers her gratitude by landing on top of one of the frames and calmly walks, slips into a frame space crevasse and is safely home.

I only hope her small colony also embrace the serenity of the moment and don't ball her now she is without a cage, the planned fondant-chewing introduction now skipped.

Bloody fascinating hobby this.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Nice one 👏

Brilliant!

I can't praise you enough for listening, reacting and succeeding. Well done!
E

Back