An ugly question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I have been asked to remove some bees. The location is one story up, and fundamentally inaccessible. The bees have only recently (last 3 days) shifted in, so they have not built a large infrastructure. I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that destruction is probably the only way forward here. They will be in a reasonably compact enclosed space. So they question is - what is the best way to kill the colony? I sort of think it might be gas, but which one?

Thanks in advance,

A sorry Roche

I suggest you get a professional in. You're playing with fire.

I am just a beginner so not sure if this is going to work but if they just been there for 3 days, maybe smoking the hell out of them will make them decide against staying? I refer to the post from few days back with the pipe and the smoker...

I would pass this on to an association, as it appears you don't know what you’re doing. Killing them? Injecting a liquid gas in a confined space??
In this weather they could have built a fair amount of come and honey stores already. Get a builder and remove a few bricks once you have agreement in writing.

Before attempting any destruction, ensure your insurance cover includes the costs of remedying your negligence in failing...

Run a mile is my advice..(and that is what I do - I advise such cases to use professional pest controllers)

I would pass this on to an association, as it appears you don't know what you’re doing. Killing them? Injecting a liquid gas in a confined space??
In this weather they could have built a fair amount of come and honey stores already. Get a builder and remove a few bricks once you have agreement in writing.

Who said anything about injecting a liquid gas?

Be aware that pesticides may leave residue

Be careful using standard pesticides. The termination of honey bees is likely to leave behind honey ripe for robbing and residues of pesticide.
My local pest controller will not terminate honey bees especially following the case of John Allison at Sheffield Crown Court 2008 for failing to take proper precautions to protect other bees

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/demon.local/Jrv4wDvaLh0

Mun, sounds like you need to build yourself a beevac. (google is your teacher)

Hi All,

I have been asked to remove some bees. The location is one story up, and fundamentally inaccessible. The bees have only recently (last 3 days) shifted in, so they have not built a large infrastructure. I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that destruction is probably the only way forward here. They will be in a reasonably compact enclosed space. So they question is - what is the best way to kill the colony? I sort of think it might be gas, but which one?

Thanks in advance,

A sorry Roche

I got a swarm out of an inaccessible location, under roof tiles / in wall cavity after about the same amount of time by placing a poly nuc near by with old comb in and rubbed some recently cut out queen cells on the tops of the frames. Within 2-3 days the people called me to say there was a mass of bees on the polynuc!

Yes I was surprised but I had done it as a last attempt.

Also I would never take part in a colony destruction. You do know that if your poison a colony and any beekeeper near by complains that there colony has suffered by robbing out the old colony there is a possible £3000 fine?

That is why 99% of pest controllers will not touch honeybees!

That's certainly what I have been told by my local pest controller.

I believe there was a colony destroyed by poisoning in my local work area and we were advised by local BKA of the date. Also my work place are currently considering options on colony which 1 week ago went into the roof space.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

There is no such thing as a liquid gas!

And if there were, it would be a vapour not a gas! At that temperature of course.

i have used Apifuge Bee repelant sprayed into a colony once a day for five days and it absconded by day 4 but that was in a porch and they had only been there a few days

Roche - you said the hive is unaccessible - however if the entrance is accessible and for the previous posts it seems as if the entrance is accessible, forget an gas or poison as it is too risky - simply do a "trap out". Look at utube for this item and you will get plenty of info on how to do it. At least you will end up with a load of bees for your own use.

Latest posts

Back