An Inspector Calls!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight sun

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is mainly for the beginners but......
I recently did an inspection (along with a bee buddy of mine) on a hive that last year produced a lot of honey and was a great Queen. This year though, I nearly lost the colony, as when I did a quick early inspection, I found hardly any bees (a few hundred) and the Queen (into her 3rd season, looking thin).
I gave the hive a frame of mainly sealed brood from one of my strong colonies to 'bolster' the number of bees, with the idea of increasing numbers to keep the hive warm and let more of the resident bees go out foraging. That was 2 weeks ago.
During the inspection this last week I found what appeared to be signs of European foul brood on the frame I put in. Signs were, the smaller brood looked more transparent, the larger brood had a 'melted' appearance (some turning 'tan' to brown and one larvae was fully outstretched in it's uncapped cell etc. At the back of my mind though, I thought that if they had starved or been neglected, this could also look like EFB. I decided to phone the bee inspector in any case. I closed down the hive till he arrived 2 days later.
I thought it would be a real 'pain' having an inspector down as I did not know really what to expect...apart from the worst.. and destruction of my hives.
But I was 'pleasantly' surprised. The inspector was ok. he checked all my hives and records and was happy how I was doing things and as for the hive in question, agreed with my evaluation on the neglect theory as he said that they ignored the new frame as there were not enough bees to look after the extra brood. The Queen was not being 'fed' up to keep her from laying too many eggs as they could not look after the extra charge. A catch 22 scenario! (He did an EFB test anyway to be sure, which was negative).
He advised to shake extra BEES instead into the hive to bolster numbers (from the supers, as he said that they would not be inclined to fight with the resident bees). So .... right idea, wrong ingredient! I also asked several other questions, in order to learn more about bee keeping, whilst I had the chance. The hive is improving already. Happily I was right about neglect, but nice to be wrong about some things.
So .... the upshot of this tale (apart from hopefully giving some info. to the newer keepers) is, don't be afraid to ask for help from someone more experienced and remember that the inspectors are there to help and not to hinder or hound, bee keepers. Don't be afraid of their 'official' status.
Having said all this though, don't bother them just to learn about bee keeping, they are busy! That's what your association and this forum is for!
Hope this is of some use to some of you and puts some of your possible fears to rest.:)

A small colony might benefit from a polynuc to help them build up. And yes, bee inspectors are OK!

A small colony might benefit from a polynuc to help them build up. And yes, bee inspectors are OK!

Thanks.
Yes, haven't a spare poly but have 'dummied' the hive right down to keep volume to a minimum till it expands enough. Agree the inspectors are there to help.:)

At the back of my mind though, I thought that if they had starved or been neglected, this could also look like EFB. I decided to phone the bee inspector in any case. I closed down the hive till he arrived 2 days later.

Good plan. Let's be mindful though, that there is no choice here. It's a legal requirement that if you suspect foul brood, you *must* notify an Inspector or send a sample of bees, in addition to your self imposed standstill order!
Good for all of us to get these things diagnosed and sorted.

I've had that déjà vu before...

Latest posts

Back